Missing video from Jeffrey Epstein's first suicide.

Greg Newby gbnewby at pglaf.org
Mon Jan 6 10:18:43 PST 2020

On Mon, Jan 06, 2020 at 06:56:42PM +0100, Tom Busby wrote:
> can i confirm that this is the Venona archive merged with the 2000-2016
> archive from this post:
>
> https://lists.cpunks.org/pipermail/cypherpunks/2018-July/042515.html

Yes, exactly. There are some notes about sources, linked in via the listinfo page.

> i.e. that we don't have a new, overlapping archive of the 90s period? I'm
> assuming venona is still the only game in town for the 90s period.

Correct. The venona .zip contents I used are dated 2003. Cryptome has a copy dated 2010 that is only different by a few bytes.

We have not heard of other archives covering 1992-1998. All the other online archives seem to trace back to the same source.

Something that is unfortunate about this is that, at the time, there were a bunch of different remailers (the number varied over time, but seems to have typically been around a half-dozen). Each CDR's archive would have been different: different spam, different headers and slight variations in time stamps.

It seems that none of the other CDR archives are available, at least publicly. Only the venona one. This is part of why Jim has been reaching out to some of those CDR operators, and also long-time list subscribers. Any other archive would be expected to have material differences, at least with headers & spam.

BTW, I joined the list in 2001, at the tail of the period above (and was on a couple of different CDRs over time). In the quest for archives from the 1990s I am an interested party, but not a source of any original materials.

 - Greg