Wccftech: Intel Releases the Horse Ridge Chip for Quantum Computing!

jim bell jdb10987 at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 4 12:49:58 PST 2020

 On Saturday, January 4, 2020, 11:49:08 AM PST, Punk-Stasi 2.0 <punks at tfwno.gf> wrote:

 On Sat, 4 Jan 2020 18:49:59 +0000 (UTC)
jim bell <jdb10987 at yahoo.com> wrote:

>> Wccftech: Intel Releases the Horse Ridge Chip for Quantum Computing!.
>> https://wccftech.com/intel-releases-the-horse-ridge-chip-for-quantum-computing/
>> Jim Bell's comment:.  Things look to be getting quite real, here.

 >   so what is that misleading or outright fraudulent headline supposed to mean, exactly.

 >   did you read the article? what does it actually say? 'chip for quantum computing'? What does that mean?

I read the article, but I don't know about quantum physics to know what this chip is doing.  My exposure to quantum mechanics occurring during MIT class 5.61, as I recall.  https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/chemistry/5-61-physical-chemistry-fall-2007/
I didn't take 8.04; don't even recall if that class existed in the late 1970s.  https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics/8-04-quantum-physics-i-spring-2013/
  This looks to be a somewhat more detailed statement of this product:https://newsroom.intel.com/news/intel-introduces-horse-ridge-enable-commercially-viable-quantum-computers/#gs.pnoq5z

This chip addresses the difficulty in re-setting-up quantum experiments, when the ultimate hardware must be immersed in liquid helium near to 0 degrees Kelvin.  "Re-wiring" the experiments requires either connecting with hundreds of wires coming out, or this new chip which handles the control at a very low temperature:  about 4 degrees K.  From that press release:
========================================================"Why Horse Ridge is Important: To date, researchers have been focused on building small-scale quantum systems to demonstrate the potential of quantum devices. In these efforts, researchers have relied on existing electronic tools and high-performance computing rack-scale instruments to connect the quantum system inside the cryogenic refrigerator to the traditional computational devices regulating qubit performance and programming the system.
These devices are often custom-designed to control individual qubits, requiring hundreds of connective wires into and out of the refrigerator in order to control the quantum processor. This extensive control cabling for each qubit will hinder the ability to scale the quantum system to the hundreds or thousands of qubits required to demonstrate quantum practicality, not to mention the millions of qubits required for a commercially viable quantum solution.

With Horse Ridge, Intel radically simplifies the control electronics required to operate a quantum system. Replacing these bulky instruments with a highly-integrated system-on-chip (SoC) will simplify system design and allow for sophisticated signal processing techniques to accelerate set-up time, improve qubit performance and enable the system to efficiently scale to larger qubit counts.

More About Horse Ridge: Horse Ridge is a highly integrated, mixed-signal SoC that brings the qubit controls into the quantum refrigerator — as close as possible to the qubits themselves. It effectively reduces the complexity of quantum control engineering from hundreds of cables running into and out of a refrigerator to a single, unified package operating near the quantum device.

Designed to act as a radio frequency (RF) processor to control the qubits operating in the refrigerator, Horse Ridge is programmed with instructions that correspond to basic qubit operations. It translates those instructions into electromagnetic microwave pulses that can manipulate the state of the qubits.
Named for one of the coldest regions in Oregon, the Horse Ridge control chip was designed to operate at cryogenic temperatures — approximately 4 Kelvin. To put this in context, 4 Kelvin is only warmer than absolute zero — a temperature so cold that atoms nearly stop moving.[end of quote from press release]