Repeat of the XYZ Affair?

Ryan Carboni ryacko at gmail.com
Fri Jan 3 22:19:28 PST 2020

Something reminded me of the XYZ Affair, something I read from the
chapters of my history textbook that my middle school class skipped.
No one is going to condemn our government for behaving like the old
corrupt monarchies that the American spirit inherently despises.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impeachment_inquiry_against_Donald_Trump
Sondland, Volker, and Perry, who called themselves the "three amigos"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XYZ_Affair
An American diplomatic commission was sent to France in July 1797 to
negotiate a solution to problems that were threatening to break out
into war. The diplomats, Charles Cotesworth Pinckney, John Marshall,
and Elbridge Gerry, were approached through informal channels by
agents of the French foreign minister, Talleyrand, who demanded bribes
and a loan before formal negotiations could begin. Although such
demands were not uncommon in mainland European diplomacy of the time,
the Americans were offended by them, and eventually left France
without ever engaging in formal negotiations.