America is a nation of immigrants

John Newman jnn at synfin.org
Fri Jan 3 20:41:09 PST 2020

On January 3, 2020 6:39:53 PM UTC, Mirimir <mirimir at riseup.net> wrote:
>On 01/03/2020 09:13 AM, Razer wrote:
>> You're walking on Native land shit-for-brains.
>
>That's true enough. In the US, most of them died, long ago. But in
>Mexico and some parts of Central and South America, they're still
>around. I've visited many places in the mountains of Mexico where many
>speak little Spanish. Including Huautla de Jiménez ;)
>
>However, it's also true that multiple groups arrived from Asia in
>multiple waves, over perhaps 40 kyr or more. And there are some
>examples
>where later arrivals killed or displaced earlier ones.
>
>Which is pretty much what's happened everywhere, for millions of years.

Or however many hundred K years modern human has been around. Except, of course,
modern humans wiping each other out is just another expression of
Darwinism (with modern tech having really twisted the meaning of "natural selection")
and that shit has been going on forever.

>Still, the Native Americans are very unusual. In that there were more
>or
>less stable cultures throughout the Americas for maybe 10-20 kyr. Until
>the fucking Europeans arrived, anyway. _1491_ and _1492_ are sobering.

One nice thing that bit the Europeans - syphilis.  The (insert nationality here)
disease was one of the few things endemic to the Americas, the one germ
that seemed to at least cause some discomfort as it spread through the old world
shortly after Colombo's first return ships.

Hardly fair payback though