AI: Hutter Prize for Compressing Human Knowledge 1G to 115M = €500k

Zig the N.g ziggerjoe at yandex.com
Sat Feb 22 21:46:16 PST 2020

On Sat, Feb 22, 2020 at 11:29:39PM -0500, grarpamp wrote:
> http://prize.hutter1.net/
>
> Hutter Prize for Compressing Human Knowledge
> This compression contest is motivated by the fact that being able to
> compress well is closely related to acting intelligently, thus
> reducing the slippery concept of intelligence to hard file size
> numbers. In order to compress data, one has to find regularities in
> them, which is intrinsically difficult (many researchers live from
> analyzing data and finding compact models). So compressors beating the
> current "dumb" compressors need to be smart(er). Since the prize wants
> to stimulate developing "universally" smart compressors, we need a
> "universal" corpus of data. Arguably the online encyclopedia Wikipedia
> is a good snapshot of the Human World Knowledge. So the ultimate
> compressor of it should "understand" all human knowledge, i.e. be
> really smart. enwik9 is a hopefully representative 1GB extract from
> Wikipedia.

A problem with all such compression algorithms is that the "universe of knowledge" (so to speak) is continually expanding - just as creation-denialists would have us all believe.  But seriously, knowledge does, over time, continue to expand, f.e. the ever increasing ways n.ggers say "sheiiiit" - it's an exponential increase in ways, and the knowledge of these ways is therefore also on an exponential increase trajectory - so 500 GiBs, today, will be lucky to fit into 5,000 GiBs me dats, this time next year!