NoFap won't make you a Nazi -- Re: Are you a man, or a pouty little bitch? - [PEACE]

Zig the N.g ziggerjoe at yandex.com
Sat Feb 22 04:13:56 PST 2020

   NoFap won't make you a Nazi: Why MSM can't get a grip on internet's anti-masturbation activists
   https://www.rt.com/op-ed/481418-nofap-porn-masturbation-addiction/

     If you’ve read about the NoFap online community in the mainstream media, you may have gotten the idea that they’re a bunch of science-denying misogynists. In reality, they’re the internet’s Alcoholics Anonymous, but for porn.

     Pornography and sex addiction is becoming a concern for many. Several celebrities have been open about their own sex addictions, such as Kanye West, Terry Crews, Michael Douglas, Tiger Woods, Lamar Odom, Jada Pinkett Smith, and others. Joseph Gordon-Levitt’s 2013 film ‘Don Jon’ tackled the subject as well. It’s something seemingly unique to our digital age, with the ability to access pornography on demand from any device that has an internet connection.

     There are those that deny the addiction exists, ...

     The NoFap subreddit began issuing challenges among its users, then sharing the results as they set newer goals to abstain from pornography and masturbation. Since then, it’s exploded into a subreddit with almost 560,000 members.

     ... Another article by Peter Allen Clark at Mashable makes strong allegations of NoFap being a gateway to right-wing thought, saying it “harkens back to Puritanism and the blind belief in the American Dream.” Given that the article was penned during Mashable’s ‘Masturbation Week’ – described as “celebrating by exploring the many facets of self-love” – the bias against NoFap isn’t exactly surprising.  Beyond that, the article presents a subreddit search of the word ‘women’ as evidence that the board mirrors men’s rights activists. Given that the subreddit sees thousands of users and thousands of threads per month, six search results are hardly conclusive.

     This seems to fly in the face of what the actual content of NoFap appears to be. During my investigation into the community, few links to actual statements within the subreddit were found in media articles. And as I looked at the community itself, I could not find posts that were demeaning to women. If anything, quite the opposite was true, with men wanting to be better people for the women in their lives. The ‘pseudo-science’ belief that abstaining from pornography and masturbation actually gives you superpowers is just a meme within the community. ‘Superpowers’ is used as a shorthand to describe how much better someone feels while abstaining from masturbation. According to the press kit that NoFap’s official site provides, it’s not a religious community nor is it anti-sex or calling for a ban on pornography.

     ... Through my observation of, and research into, NoFap, it seems obvious that its purpose from day one was to be a force for good. It’s made a difference in the lives of both men and women, and the desire to continue to do so doesn’t seem to go anywhere. So for those who do seek to conquer this addiction, NoFap may not roll off the tongue, but it may signal hope for those struggling souls.