Cryptocurrency: Centralized Shitcoin IOTA Shutdown

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Sun Feb 16 19:08:11 PST 2020

https://www.zdnet.com/article/iota-cryptocurrency-shuts-down-entire-network-after-wallet-hack/
https://status.iota.org/

Centralized protocols, proof of "stake", "governance", "voting",
baked in dev funding, partnerships, etc... are all scams just like Fiat.

The nonprofit organization behind the IOTA cryptocurrency shut down
its entire network this week after someone exploited a vulnerability
their wallet app to steal funds.
ZDNet reports: The attack happened this week, Wednesday, on February
12, 2020, according to a message the foundation posted on its official
Twitter account. According to a status page detailing the incident,
within 25 minutes of receiving reports that hackers were stealing
funds from user wallets, the IOTA Foundation shut down "Coordinator,"
a node in the IOTA network that puts the final seal of approval on any
IOTA currency transactions.
The never-before-seen move was meant to prevent hackers from executing
new thefts, but also had the side-effect of effectively shut down the
entire IOTA cryptocurrency...
IOTA members said hackers used an exploit in "a third-party
integration" of Trinity, a mobile and desktop wallet app developed by
the IOTA Foundation. Based on current evidence, confirmed by the IOTA
team, it is believed that hackers targeted at least 10 high-value IOTA
accounts and used the Trinity exploit to steal funds.
Sunday the team released "a safe version" of their Trinity Desktop "to
allow users to check their balance and transactions. This version
(1.4.0) removes the vulnerability announced on 12th February 2020..."
Their status page advised users to contact a member of the IOTA
Foundation if their balance looks incorrect. "Please be aware that
there are unfortunately active imposters posing as IOTA Foundation
personnel on our Discord. Therefore it is important that you directly
initiate contact with the IF or mod team yourself..."
"The Coordinator remains down for now as we finalise our remediation
plan. You will not be able to send value transactions."