[nonrelevant] 2019 military hacking quip article online

Karl gmkarl at gmail.com
Mon Dec 28 09:41:15 PST 2020

On Mon, Dec 28, 2020 at 12:13 PM coderman <coderman at protonmail.com> wrote:

> [...]

if a normal cracker thought of this, they would of course compromise
somebody else's infrastructure and use that, as a norm.  i think
crackers think of things like that, if they are able to do them, which
they usually are.
back when i paid attention to things, random crackers were way more
knowledgeable than government or corporate employees.

> the wikipedia page does a good job summarizing the evidence:
> """
> The overwhelming consensus is that the cyberattack was carried out by state-sponsored attackers for the Chinese government.[4] The attack originated in China,[6] and the backdoor tool used to carry out the intrusion, PlugX, has been previously used by Chinese-language hacking groups that target Tibetan and Hong Kong political activists.[4] The use of superhero names is also a hallmark of Chinese-linked hacking groups.[4]

when i found the trojans on the activist computers in west virginia
around 2013, they were modified forms of a chinese trojan used for
credit card theft, that didn't appear to be publically documented.
i'd never investigated a trojan much before.

my perception was that crackers lived all over the world, and got paid
very well.  i don't know much about it.