gun nutcases

Karl gmkarl at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 02:54:13 PST 2020

On Sun, Dec 6, 2020 at 10:38 PM Punk-BatSoup-Stasi 2.0 <punks at tfwno.gf> wrote:

> On Sun, 6 Dec 2020 22:00:40 -0500
> Karl <gmkarl at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > >         (yes, I do get components for my electronics projects from the landfill)
> >
> > I used to desolder boards, and I've visited electronics recycling
> > places.
>
>         There are no recycling places here, so I do the recycling myself =)
>

> > I haven't gone into a literal landfill myself ;p  Once I
> > found a dumpster full of desktop computers.
>

>         I picked most of my stuff off the street. Some came from dumpsters. Last thing I picked was a couple of 40kg digital scales. And oh, I have a bunch of retardphones, some from the 90s, some newer, and guess what? The newer the phone the more useless as far as recycling goes. The newest ones don't have any discrete components at all. Some of the chips don't even packages. They are uniform blocks of silicon.

I haven't seen that, and it sounds a little strange to me.  Do you have a photo?

I usually plan to use phones by installing apps on them using their
existing operating system.  With Kivy you can write python that runs
the same on iOS and android.

Here in new england we say 'dumbphone' for the phones that have a
black and white display and don't kidnap your eyeballs and social
connections with advertisements, to counter 'smartphone'.
'smartphone' i think usually gets some descriptor around how it is
watching you all the time without your consent. 'retardphone' is more
appropriate but nobody in my communities understands that the danger
warrants and causes the name, yet.

>         Same thing with printers : the old ones have many parts that can be remade into a '3d printer', but the new ones have a small board with some kind of SoC which is completely useless, unless you have their 'propietary' manuals. And even then the chip is likely to be locked.

The manuals or at least some information used to be findable on the
internet if one learned the meaning of the numbers on the chip
package.  Sometimes they were in chinese, though.  I've never pulled a
microcontroller from a printer, though; I've only looked at smaller
chips in that kind of space.  I found an article once on reverse
engineering chip circuitry using a confocal microscope and some
analysis software.  My friend had a confocal microscope, but I only
learned he had it around 2013 when my life stopped.

> > It's usually designed to break in some stupid way where most of the
> > components still last for years and years.
> > I never figured out how to glitch microcontrollers to reprogram them
> > with the fuses blown,
>
>         I've found a few microcontrollers but they are useless without manuals, even if the fuses were not blown.

I found manuals on the website of the chip manufacturer.  I was able
to order more chips from them, to experiment with, too, for
cents-per-chip.

> > but I understand that there is much better
> > material available on how, nowadays 7 years later.
> >

>         Actually as times goes by stuff gets more and more miniaturized and integrated...and becomes un-recyclable.

Very precise tools needed eventually.

>         but HEY, this is SCIENTIFIC PROGRESS and the FREE MARKET, and SCIENCE WILL EXPLAIN EVERYTHING and <insert more technofascist slogans here>

We are Science.  We leap off the cliff of faith into the happy
community of workers below.  Somebody's always caught us before!

Of course, the scientific community/ies are thinking about all this
stuff with a lot of potential wise deliberation.  Their power is just
filtered by the journals, funders, institutions, and communities they
work with.

> > You could make a puppet to continue my side of the argument, saying
> > something like 'home 3d printing is way better than industrial
> > factories' over and over again.
>

>         Yeah, I don't disagree with the concept, but it's easier said than done.

The concept of the puppet or of the printer?

Maybe I see where you're coming from better.  3d printers are used by
people who don't need them, for fun.  So it's hard to use them where
the concept would be needed; the concept isn't reasonably designed for
a real-world community.  They're more like a daydream that is
discovering the value of helpfulness but hasn't found it yet.

Makerspaces started making medical supplies in the usa for this
coronavirus thing, but they weren't on top of it.  The makerspace
model could have expanded medical capacity instantly by spreading the
norm of helping and learning to help, rather than the help itself, but
instead corporations and governments want to be in control and the
makerspaces and mutual aid efforts are still kept relegated to
hobby-types who happen to be interested, rather than recognised as a
solution that can be far faster and more effective than centralised
aid.