The perfect computer monitor -- On target marketing and the ultimate programmer's monitor, and a marketing opportunity to any Samsung, LG or Sony wanna be

Zenaan Harkness zen at freedbms.net
Fri Dec 4 16:07:46 PST 2020

On Sun, Jun 30, 2019 at 04:09:57PM +1000, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
> Finally LG and Samsung are beginning to reach "basic minimum specs
> for ideal monitor" - 49" ultrawide for immersion, 120Hz+ refresh for
> gaming (note, the LG is only 60Hz 'business class'), 5120 horizontal
> pixels, although in this case only 1440 vertical pixels - basically
> two side by side 27" 2560x1440 monitors without the bezel, which is
> pretty awesome.
>
> The ultimate business/ programmer's monitor? Similar size, but with
> dual (side by side) "4K" resolution - ie. 7680x2160, and then your
> premium resolution is 10240x3840 (four "5K2K" monitors equivalent
> resolution).
>
> https://www.samsung.com/au/monitors/c49rg9/
>
> https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-49WL95C-W-ultrawide-monitor

Where std PC monitors are 16x9 ratio, and the "twin 27 inch" is therefore 32x9, the optimum monitor for an individual programmer/gamer --at a large monitor size--, is around the 21x9 mark.

LG's "5k2k" (5120x2160) monitor is basically this ratio, but not curved.  Not having seen one in the flesh, perhaps it is sufficient that it is not curved (only about 34inch diagonal).

But the Next Frontier is higher res and larger surface area, and your typical office/boardroom 43inch (21x9 ratio) monitor really needs to be curved for a single close-up all-day user.

And for immersive, greater width is needed, but 32x9 curved at 49inch diagonal which I have also seen in the flesh, does need greater height, at least for programmers and we can be almost certain that the extra real estate would be appreciated by gamers too.

Thus, the idael universal (gaming + coding) monitor:

   ~ 21x9
   ~ 55inch diagonal
   >= ~ 7680x3240
   curved, tight radius ~1.5ft

For gaming with insufficient pixel grunt, simply halve the horizontal and/or vertical resolution.

DP-2.0 with DSC will provide a b/w boost, hopefully "sufficient" for gaming, otherwise support should be added for dual DP2 port bonding.