www.Tesmanian.com: SpaceX is getting closer to offering Starlink Internet

jamesd at echeque.com jamesd at echeque.com
Sun Aug 23 06:49:01 PDT 2020

On 2020-08-23 14:37, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
> What is "paxos algorithm"?

Suppose there are various computers dispersed over the internet,
controlled by various people who usually cooperate, but do not all trust
each other, nor always cooperate.  And we want these computers to reach
a single conclusion as to who owns what, who has obligations to whom, so
that their owners can reach conclusions as to who is cooperating and who
is defecting.

Obviously the immediate case of concern in a proof of stake currency is
a single accord as to which public keys control how much crypto currency.

The problem of reaching a single accord on anything is equivalent
reaching a single accord on the order of sql transactions.

The byzantine paxos algorithm is an algorithm for taking vote among a
centerless set of computers, some of which might well cheat, equivalent
to taking a vote on a proposed block of sql transactions, so that
everyone applies the same sql transactions in the same order (or an
operation equivalent to applying a set of sql transactions).

It turns out that without a single authoritative trusted central point
for counting the vote, this is a very difficult and subtle problem.

Were the owners of stake to vote directly, they would all have to have
computers with high bandwidth connections that were almost always up,
and always connected, which connections would reveal the owners of the
stake.

So I have proposed, (full white paper coming by and by, but it is
getting mighty long and taking a while) a proof of stake currency where
the secret keys controlling the stake is owned by the clients of the
peers, and the peers vote.  A client can move from one peer to another,
or set up his own peer, perhaps with peer and client running on the same
computer.  If the government raids a big peer in a big computer center,
it does not get any interesting secret keys, because the master key for
that peer is probably written down on the margin of a bible on a
bookshelf of someone on the other side of the world.

This is equivalent to the corporate form:  The peer computers are like
the board, the client computers are like the shareholders. And a human
whose the client program has the master key to a peer whose clients hold
a lot of stake is equivalent to a human member of a human board of a
human corporation.