Trump may pardon Snowden -- Re: [Privacy] Snowden Warns Governments Are Using Coronavirus to Build 'the Architecture of Oppression'

Zenaan Harkness zen at freedbms.net
Sat Aug 15 08:57:39 PDT 2020

On Fri, Apr 10, 2020 at 07:15:54AM -0400, John Young wrote:
> At 09:04 PM 4/9/2020, you wrote:
> > Snowden Warns Governments Are Using Coronavirus to Build 'the Architecture
> > of Oppression'
> >
> > <<https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/bvge5q/snowden-warns-governments-are-using-coronavirus-to-build-the-architecture-of-oppression>https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/bvge5q/snowden-warns-governments-are-using-coronavirus-to-build-the-architecture-of-oppression>
>
> Bear in mind that leaker's information ages into less significance, other than
> historical, as sources respond to the leaks with replacements and innovations.
>
> Leaks are left unchallenged, even promoted and initiated, by sources to serve
> as alluring camouflage for current operations.
>
> Some wizards claim leaks and leakers were invented and sustained for this
> purpose. Prosecutons and demonization and publicity and legislation are tools
> of the deceptive ops.
>
> FOIA a particularly manipulative technique, redactions and classification
> markings applied for verisimilitude. So too the tiny yellow dots and other
> traces.
>
> Others: Encryption and anonymizers, drop boxes, whispers to journos, aggrieved
> insiders and loose-lipped contractors, inspector generals, congressional
> briefings, sex entrapments, privacy protection NGOs, hired and coerced bots,
> trolls and hackers, iimplants in hardware and software, compromised
> communcations and internet workers and admins, lawyers, priests, psychiatrists
> and other supposedly confidential advisers.
>
> Roll your own narcotic of outsmarting the mofos, peddle the product of secrecy
> and oppression.

   Trump To Pardon Edward Snowden?
   https://www.zerohedge.com/political/trump-pardon-edward-snowden

      In surprising comments during an interview with the New York Post this week, President Trump mused: “There are a lot of people that think that he is not being treated fairly. I mean, I hear that.”

      He added: “Many people are on his side, I will say that. I don’t know him, never met him. But many people are on his side.”
      https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/aug/14/edward-snowden-trump-presidential-pardon-speculation

      The comments, published in the Post Thursday, have unleashed widespread speculation that Trump could actually pardon whistleblower Edward Snowden at a moment political momentum is gaining from Republican-Libertarian voices in Congress.
      https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/aug/14/edward-snowden-trump-presidential-pardon-speculation

      Suggesting something is already in the waters, Kentucky congressman Thomas Massie (R) called out Trump on Friday, tweeting simply, "Donald Trump should pardon Edward Snowden," while tagging both.

      And Libertarian/Independent Congressman Justin Amash of Michigan tweeted in support for such a bold move from the president as well:

          Edward @Snowden is a whistleblower who exposed unconstitutional surveillance practices that violated the rights of millions. He deserves the opportunity to return to the United States and receive a pardon as part of a fair process that examines his actions. https://t.co/JqVccAYd41
              — Justin Amash (@justinamash) August 14, 2020

[One can hope...]