Droplet vs. aerosol transmission of COVID-19

coderman coderman at protonmail.com
Sat Apr 18 14:41:45 PDT 2020

it appears COVID-19 might not be spread via aerosol transmission, instead via larger droplets:

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26/7/20-0764_article

"""
From our examination of the potential routes of transmission, we concluded that the most likely cause of this outbreak was droplet transmission...

Virus transmission in this outbreak cannot be explained by droplet transmission alone. Larger respiratory droplets (>5 μm) remain in the air for only a short time and travel only short distances, generally <1 m ([2](https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26/7/20-0764_article#r2),[3](https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26/7/20-0764_article#r3)). The distances between patient A1 and persons at other tables, especially those at table C, were all >1 m. However, strong airflow from the air conditioner could have propagated droplets from table C to table A, then to table B, and then back to table C ([Figure](https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26/7/20-0764_article#tnF1)).
"""

best regards,