Ergodox-EZ model with one extra "forefinger" key?

Zenaan Harkness zen at freedbms.net
Wed Apr 15 04:08:55 PDT 2020

Dear Ergodox-EZ,

I would like an Ergodox-EZ model with one extra key (per hand/side), namely for the respective forefingers, replacing the two 1.5 sized keys to the right of the T, G and B keys with 3 single sized keys (and similarly for the right hand, replacing the two 1.5 sized keys to the left of the Y, H and N keys also with 3 single sized keys).

Is this something you might consider for a future version of the Ergodox EZ?

Secondly, will you consider a version which has an additional row above the top row, e.g. for "Function" and ESC keys etc?
I know Ergodox has layers, and when I buy one, I may find that's ultimately "better" (say, due to less overall hand movement), but I'm a key junkie and would jump at those additional rows of 7 keys :)

In the very least, due to my Vim-inspired "carpal dance move", I really like "snapping" the escape key (which on my present and ageing Microsoft Natural 4000, is near the top left of the keyboard).
Being able to Flick-Snap that Escape key is a satisfying experience, but the ergodox has no key in that corresponding location.
In a deeply sad and morose resignation, one can imagine getting used to the existing Ergodox top left key (of the left hand keyboard) being mapped to Escape, but key junkies need moar :D

Similarly, I would like to be able to flick-smack a corresponding key at the very top right of the right hand board too :)

By the way, the patented and "fully trademarked, man" Flick-Snap (TM)(C)(R) move is without doubt THE most satisfying keyboard motion in the universe, and is performed with religious fervour using the pad of the middle finger.

Alternatively, or possibly additionally, an add on display to sit or clip to the rear of the EZ, which instantly flicks between screens depending on which layer I am on.
This is arguably one of the more vitally important addons which should exist.

Finally, do you plan to have a future version of the Ergodox which supports lighting both under the keys, as well as under the keyboard, rather than just one or the other?

Hope you guys are well during our freedoms lock down.  Kind regards,
Zenaan

PS: feel free to make these FAQs public - I have no doubt that many people are breathlessly clamouring for the answers ;)