Tracing COVID-19 cases with Google Timeline?

jim bell jdb10987 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 13 11:43:34 PDT 2020

https://decrypt.co/25338/apple-and-googles-coronavirus-app-is-a-global-mass-surveillance-tool?utm_source=reddit&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sm5
[partial copy follows]

Apple and Google's coronavirus app is a 'global mass surveillance tool'
Apple and Google are bringing coronavirus contact tracing to iOS and Android. Computer science professor Jaap-Henk Hoepman says this will turn smartphones into “pocket Stasi agents.”
By Liam Frost
6 min read
Apr 13, 2020

THE CORONAVIRUS APP IS GOING DEEPED INTO YOUR PHONE THAN YOU MIGHT THINK. IMAGE: SHUTTERSTOCK.
In brief
Apple and Google plan to integrate a Bluetooth-based contact tracing technology into iOS and Android.
Corresponding apps should help track the spread of the coronavirus globally.
Experts fear that it could lead to greater surveillance through mobile phones.

American tech corporations Apple and Google issued a joint statement on April 10, announcing their plans to integrate a new Bluetooth-based coronavirus contact tracing technology into the iOS and Android operating systems.

“In the coming months, Apple and Google will work to enable a broader Bluetooth-based contact tracing platform by building this functionality into the underlying platforms. This is a more robust solution than an API,” the announcement stated, adding that it will “enable interaction with a broader ecosystem of apps and government health authorities.”

Coronavirus surveillance may mean the end of personal privacy

Numerous governments around the world are beginning to roll out mass surveillance systems in an attempt to slow the pandemic. But privacy advocates are worried that when these measures have be...

News
Business
Liam Frost
Mar 23, 2020

4 min read

In theory, apps based on this new functionality will act as an “alarm,” warning you if your smartphone was in close proximity to a device tagged as “infected”—belonging to someone tested positive for the coronavirus. But there’s a catch.

The companies claim new technology will “maintain strong protections around user privacy,” yet its implementation could result in the exact opposite, according to Jaap-Henk Hoepman, associate professor of Computer Science at Radboud University.