Ars Technica: Medicine show: Crown Sterling demos 256-bit RSA key-cracking at private event

coderman coderman at protonmail.com
Sat Sep 21 05:53:04 PDT 2019

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
On Saturday, September 21, 2019 7:23 AM, jim bell <jdb10987 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Ars Technica: Medicine show: Crown Sterling demos 256-bit RSA key-cracking at private event.
> https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2019/09/medicine-show-crown-sterling-demos-256-bit-rsa-key-cracking-at-private-event/
>
> Jim Bell's comment:.
> Are they talking about a 256 bit key, or a 512 bit composite key ?

they are talking about breaking long since broken short RSA keys...

"Ars shared the video with Jake Williams, the founder of Rendition Infosec and a former member of the National Security Agency's Tailored Access Operations group. "I'm dumber for having watched that," Williams said. "Bragging that you can factor a 256 bit RSA key in 2019 is like bragging about hacking an unpatched Windows 2000 box. Sure you did it, but nobody should care.""

see also: "no useful signals in infosec", aka, market for lemons...