VentureBeat: The death of disk? HDDs still have an important role to play

jim bell jdb10987 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 6 12:06:10 PDT 2019

 On Monday, September 2, 2019, 06:28:13 PM PDT, \0xDynamite <dreamingforward at gmail.com> wrote:

 >> I invented the SSD (solid state disk) in August 1980, first marketed one in
>> August 1981.See "SemiDisk Systems".

>Seriously?  You mean yourself as Jim Bell or are you quoting?

I, Jim Bell, invented the SSD (for personal computers:   S-100, TRS-80 Model II, IBM PC, Epson QX-10), in about August 1980, while I was working for Intel.  (But it was my own private project).   I went on to manufacture it, in my company SemiDisk Systems Inc. beginning late 1981.
https://www.storagesearch.com/chartingtheriseofssds.html
"In 1982 - SemiDisk Systems (based in Beaverton Oregon) became the first company to ship SSD accelerators for the Intel microprocessor based PC market. "
http://www.s100computers.com/Hardware%20Folder/SemiDisk/History/History.htm

SemiDisk Systems was founded by perhaps one of the most unusual and controversial characters amongst our list of S-100 board companies.  His name was Jim Bell.   Bell was born in Akron, Ohio and attended the MIT where he earned a degree in chemistry. After graduation, he worked for Intel before founding SemiDisk Systems, in 1982.  The company was located in Beaverton Oregon.  It focused on making memory chip based "solid state" disk drives.  It had a early lead in the field before the concept became widespread and for a short time the market was between them and Electralogics.  About the same time they went on to make IBM-PC (and even TRS 80 Model 2) memory disk boards.  SemiDisk closed in 1992.