VentureBeat: The death of disk? HDDs still have an important role to play

\0xDynamite dreamingforward at gmail.com
Wed Sep 4 22:14:57 PDT 2019

>  The industry developed UV-erasable EPROM as a substitute, which allowed
> only the erasure of the entire memory chip, , and some early EEPROM.
> (Electrically erasable programmable Read-Only-Memory).Eventually
> "flash-EPROM" was developed.   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_memory

Ah, I hadn't made the connection between FLASH drives and Flash
EEPROMS.  However,  this pushes the question back:  how would an
EEPROM do it?  Old PROMs used to burn fuses to maintain state, but how
to restore state, eh?

I believe that one could make flash drives that start at all-1s and
then burn the 0s into the memory.  A small battery-powered device
could maintain the address of the next writable word, otherwise once
the device reached the end of memory, it would no longer be useful
for. writing.

Anyway,  cheers!