VentureBeat: The death of disk? HDDs still have an important role to play

jim bell jdb10987 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 4 21:54:06 PDT 2019

 On Tuesday, September 3, 2019, 03:18:40 AM PDT, \0xDynamite <dreamingforward at gmail.com> wrote:

 >The reason I asked because I can't figure out how you can get
persistent memory without burning circuits.  An internal battery
perhaps or a writable crystal, but.... how?

In the early 1970's, the computer industry went from magnetic core ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic-core_memory  ) to static and dynamic RAM, losing non-volatility in the process.   It was possible to run a CMOS static RAM on a tiny battery, to maintain data when the main system power was turned off.
 The industry developed UV-erasable EPROM as a substitute, which allowed only the erasure of the entire memory chip, , and some early EEPROM.  (Electrically erasable programmable Read-Only-Memory).Eventually "flash-EPROM" was developed.   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_memory

                        Jim Bell