How a months-old AMD microcode bug destroyed my weekend [UPDATED]

coderman coderman at protonmail.com
Tue Oct 29 19:15:47 PDT 2019

... even RDSEED is masked by DBRG obfuscation

correction: DRBG - deterministic random bit generator. you also see this construction referred to as key expansion, but definitely not the same thing as raw access to a true random number generator (TRNG). let me prod that hardware entropy source sample set!!

(VIA processors with XSTORE let you do so, if you're feeling nostalgic. just configure as desired via MSR register bit flips and call at will! :)