IQNets: p2p link negotiation - bandwidth management

Zenaan Harkness zen at freedbms.net
Mon Oct 28 04:51:14 PDT 2019

A link between two peers B and C, may not naturally sustain the hoped
for bandwidth.

Active link management, and whole-of-interfaces management, may be
required to achieve required b/w and latency stability, e.g.:

  - In the face of a node in a household with a single ADSL router
    shared by multiple co-tennants.

  - In the face of links up/down shaped outside of our control (e.g.
    by an ISP/ any middle device in the p2p link's physical path)

It may be that we shall manifest Internet wide, RFC based, active QoS
and traffic management - but that's in the longer term;
in the short term, we must optimize for an end user node's present
reality.

A user space TCP/IP stack provides for experimentation.