Low speed, p2p, wireless as a secure alternative to SMS and Signal-like services.

Zenaan Harkness zen at freedbms.net
Sun Oct 27 18:03:17 PDT 2019

On Sun, Oct 27, 2019 at 03:03:02PM +0000, Steven Schear wrote:
> By choosing a different physical transport means a different and, I
> maintain, better set of security tradeoffs become available. Unlike

We're on the page. Note though, it's not a mutually exclusive choice.

The following terms are either synonymous, or directly related, to
the concept "physical link which is not a govnet Internet/ ISP" link:

  - dark links

  - dark fibre (at least in some circumstances - know your provider,
    know your hardware)

  - wireless mesh networking (mobile phones, wireless routers etc)

  - ad hoc mesh net ("ships passing in the night", e.g. mobile phones
    between vehicles travelling in the same direction on a highway
    (or in opposite directions albeit for relative short connection
    durations))

  - neighbour to neighbour (CAT5 across the fence, wireless mesh
    between neighbours)

  - [private] back haul

  - off govnet/ off Internet links

  - non ISP/govnet links

  - local physical friend node link

  - opportunistic mesh [network] link/connection

  - etc

See for example the following email:
  https://lists.cpunks.org/pipermail/cypherpunks/2019-October/077105.html

> approaches which invariably depend on the Internet and heavily monitored
> commercial gateways, I propose using infrastructure-less or
> non-permissioned commercial, single-hop, relays. It's not the
> electromagnetic spectrum isn't also monitored but that the efficacy of that
> monitoring is, unlike the former environment, much more limited by physics,
> channel conditions, information theory and the proper application of
> tradecraft by possible targets.
>
> Both as a hobbyist and professional I've delved into the practicality of
> utilizing and building on commonly available, even consumer grade, Software
> Defined Signal Processing  (SDSP, the use of the term SDR is verboten in my
> world due to its inherent regulatory implications)

One of the problems anarchists seem to regularly fall into is
avoidance of the predominant group zeitgeist / tribal and political
"present reality" and nature of humans generally, and therefore
perpetuation of the problems we presently face, or we can say,
effectively a tacit consent (by the mechanism of said avoidance) to
said problems.

Humans have millenia of tribalism embedded in their DNA/ psyche.

Humans are plagued by the classical tribulations arising from the
classical human natures:

  - fear
  - lust and indiscrimination
  - unsatiable greed/ desire for material possessions
  - slothfulness then opportunism then thievery
  - impatience then anger then hatred
  - envy and jealousy

Each of these plagues of the mind have natural and peace inducing
antidotes, but such require intent + will + action + persistence/
diligence (at least for the time required, which for some may be
years to a lifetime):

  - courage, fake it till you make it
  - discrimination and consequence consideration
  - cognizance and gratitude for those things, moments and feelings
    existing now, in the present moment
  - planning, diligent action, compassion
  - patience, forgiveness, love
  - contentment and broad thinking

In regards to SDSP vs SDR - it's NOT the terminology that will give
you a pass! That is foolish oversight of the fundamental problem,
which is present government backed by "voting" and the force of guns,
police, courts and jail.

How trivial it is to replace, no just add the term "SDSP" in the
definitions of "SDR", in all statute laws in which the acronym "SDR"
appears!

Do not shirk or avoid or fail to behold the obvious, or that which
you avoid shall dominate you!

Statements of unshakable intention in relation to SDSP/SDR

  We are with the fundamental human right to freedom of
  communication, using any technical means at our disposal.

  Living this right, and establishing the freedom to exercise this
  right in various technical domains including but not limited to
  SDR, is an ongoing intention and set of specific and coordinated
  actions which we undertake from time to time.

> hardware and open source
> software. My investigations (some openly shared at Cypherpunk-oriented tech
> conferences) have led me to believe that even a moderate uptake of these
> SDSP technologies would effectively neutralize most or all SIGINT against
> parties who aren't already the subject of individual targeting.

There are a few projects such as LimeSDR out there, which are a good
start.

We DO NOT live in isolated towers - we live in a world of humans and
interactions amongst one another, and various systems which actually
exist today such as supposedly "democratic" governments.

Pick a target project, and get going in real life!

> These technologies aren't some magical new creation but rather the
> integration and adoption of ideas already well studied and reported in
> academia but whose implementations are often not openly available for
> tailoring and testing, mostly due to unfounded fears of regulatory actions.
>
> To be continued...

Indeed ;)