Oxford University bans clapping to "stop triggering anxiety" - [PEACE]

Peter Fairbrother peter at tsto.co.uk
Sun Oct 27 10:06:59 PDT 2019

Ho hum.  Or perhaps Hokum.

No, Oxford University didn't ban clapping. Or anything else.

If you read your own quote, the student union (not the University
authorities) voted to "encourage the use of silent clapping". At student
union events only, not at University meetings, lectures etc.

That's it. They didn't ban non-silent clapping (which they couldn't have
done anyway).

I agree it is a little nutso, but let's not blame a
somehow-authoritarian "University" for something some bored
wanna-be-radical students set up for the first week of the year (when
lots of the starry-eyed brand new students go to their first and only SU
meeting and vote for almost anything to show solidarity with their new
colleagues).

Yup. That's about the farthest extent of radical student politics at
Oxford. [1]

Btw, "snowflake"? is that PC?

Peter Fairbrother

[1] traditionally Oxford students wear subfusc (dark clothes/white
shirt/bow-or-ribbon tie under academic robes) during examinations. On
several occasions the University has planned to relax this requirement
(no subfusc, you can't sit the exam) but the students rebelled in favour
of keeping subfusc.