high latency low b/w ping circles: random vs clocked

Zenaan Harkness zen at freedbms.net
Sat Oct 26 20:13:14 PDT 2019

high latency ping circle pings, should effectively disappear in the
"usual mix" of traffic between standard peers.

1-hr +/- 15 minutes ping circle with immediate peer nodes ("friend")
could be a mandatory base load.

Even just coordinating links between peer nodes is an order of
magnitude greater b/w - the pings "as wheat" will disappear "in the
chaff of normal net/switch coord traffic", and automatically provide
for high-value and hidden (to onlookers) text messages to be sent
around.

Imagining a UI element:

  HiddenMessageService
  - send message to friend
  - choose latency:
    - "std (up to 1.5 hrs to arrive)"
    - "half hour max"
    - "1 minute max"
    - "10 seconds max"

  - I type text and choose "1 minute max option"
    - app pops up saying "Enable 1 minute max messages to friend
      Blah, this will incur up to a 12MiB per month b/w overhead"
    - I click yes.
    - the app negotiates such a link with my friend
    - every time we are both connected, we maintain this link
      - until we optionally disable that link

  - because peer nodes must negotiate and regularly communicate re
    switching and routes and b/w, in order to anything at all,
    the overhead of that "1 minute max" link might almost disappear
    completely into regular network control packets (remember, we
    combine packets up to MTU or "configged normalized packet size"
    anyway, and we reserve the required b/w for such control packets
    as well - always keep a little headroom
    - i.e. that 12MiB/month might end up being much closer to the
      marginal size of the actual text messages only.