IQNets: user classes, network locality, quid pro quo, torrents at core, on gaming reputation

Zenaan Harkness zen at freedbms.net
Thu Oct 24 22:58:43 PDT 2019

On Fri, Oct 25, 2019 at 09:06:24AM +1100, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 24, 2019 at 04:46:44PM -0300, Punk - Stasi 2.0 wrote:
> > On Thu, 24 Oct 2019 22:49:48 +1100
> > Zenaan Harkness <zen at freedbms.net> wrote:
> >

> > > Classes of nodes (from a node's perspective):
> > >
> > >   - direct friend nodes with a meat space asserted trust level, which
> > >     may be anywhere on the trust axis - both above and below zero
> >
> > 	you can have the option to mark nodes as 'trusted' or 'friends'
> > 	but I don't think the network can or should be built assuming
> > 	that there are 'trusted' nodes.  So, no not a 'friend to friend'
> > 	network.
>
> Ack.
>
> You don't have to hop via friends, either initially, or at all.
>
> Config.

That said, a primary vector of GPA assumed capacity today, is at the
very least statistical traffic flow analysis of packets in and out of
your node (mobile phone, ADSL modem, satellite dish, wifi hotspot).

If you happen to be physically near to one or more friends or
associates, and you each use 'modern' mobile phones, and are running
IQNets, there are possible advantages to using this "ad hoc wifi mesh
net" as a "backhaul darknet link(s)".

(Setting aside compromised hardware, which we assume is ubiquitous)
having a backhaul which is "off grid" or "off govnet" is a packet
mixing opportunity which we should not miss...

Of course, classifying local ad hoc wifi nodes as "friend" or
"unknown" may not add much; but then again it might, depending on
your personal (and therefore very unique) threat and usage model.

  "There's gold in them thar chaff hills matey."