IQNets node metrics

Zenaan Harkness zen at freedbms.net
Tue Oct 22 13:50:21 PDT 2019

> To repeat a key point from a previous email: by treating different
> types of streams for their own nature, we can not only reason about
> network impact and various performance metrics, but we can ensure
> that any design caters to include that type of stream.

Maintaining node metrics is a necessary and core component of IQNets.

Metrics are needed to try to determine when peer nodes are
compromised or active attacking vs when they are behaving "well", and
these metrics are relevant over time.

Example metrics we may need, in order to make reasonable decisions
and to analyze peer nodes:

  - packet latency
    - "problematic" latency behaviour should be automatic kick

  - packet size, frame size, or MTU, to optimize links and routes

  - any deviation from the core IQNets protocol
    - some deviations should be "automatic kick", others not so much

  - uptime, or rather "connectedness" - it's ok to only be on the net
    when your phone's on, but it's absolutely not OK to be offline
    for random periods of seconds or minutes - such nodes must be
    kicked