Neowin: New OnionShare 2.2 update makes it easy to share files and host sites on the Tor network

Zenaan Harkness zen at freedbms.net
Mon Oct 21 04:38:56 PDT 2019

On Mon, Oct 21, 2019 at 07:08:58AM -0400, grarpamp wrote:
> See the related...
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OFFSystem

Nice!

Can imagine OFFSystem, combined with even just 1- or 2-hop onion
routing, where you route amongst 'friends', to be a viable low
overhead (extra bandwidth) and reasonably low latency and therefore
to replace existing torrent clients.

Which reminds me - we must treat different streams according to the
nature of the stream.

  - Phone call demands low latency, reasonably low bandwidth.

  - Bittorrent demands high throughput, is fine with utilizing excess
    available bandwidth (like running a coin miner in your idle
    process).

  - Text messages/ txt chat, are miniscule bandwidth, can tolerate
    unpredictable latency (at least, up to a few seconds if it so
    happens), but to achieve a systemic difference, we -must- achieve
    wheat in the chaff (and "via trusted friends") "disappearing
    act".
    - some txt messages can tolerate super high latency, in exchange
      for significantly increased anonymity and etc properties

  - comfort for the main stream end consumer crowd accessing MSM web
    sites, demands low privacy, low security, bursty, relatively low
    latency streams to view heavy moronic web page "CNN brain
    programming"
    - like Tor achieves

Within the confines of:
  - packet switched altnet
  - with end-user node making own routing decisions
  - plus applied/configured meat space "friend trust metrics"

I believe we can group streams into the above categories and others
which make sense.

Different security requires different routing - even accessing an MSM
web page could be diverted to my altnet chaff fill node, if more
important stuff is not being up/down-loaded via my node, but only if
my node is not doing something I deem more important.

With a fundamentally flexible packet switched UDP base layer, we can
build appropriate stream "protocols" or "configurations" on top, to
satisfy different users, uses and/ or apps - at least this is the
goal - don't lock in the end users to a single stream modality, so
that we don't keep rewriting the stack over and over and ...