Pipe-Net

Zenaan Harkness zen at freedbms.net
Mon Oct 21 04:17:42 PDT 2019

On Mon, Oct 21, 2019 at 06:27:42AM -0400, grarpamp wrote:
> On 10/17/19, coderman <coderman at protonmail.com> wrote:
> >> There are many, many analogies you can draw about a network of this
> >> type to an ATM (asynchronous transfer mode) network.
> >

> > i'm old enough to remember writing XTI/STREAMS code for ATM networks. (blast
> > from the past!)
> >
> > ATM CBR SVCs would be a perfect fit for padding schemes, if they existed for
> > consumer use :)
>

> Telco generated clocked TDM bucket brigades...
> Suggested for years overlays can still emulate them to good use...
> full time chaff padding fill all node-to-node links at negotiated maintained
> rates, displace chaff with wheat as it comes in, reclock and enforce
> the line contracts, keying, etc at the switchports (overlay nodes).
> *VC padding requires lots of management overhead and signaling
> between layers in overlay net to avoid user traffic saturating paths,
> finding bw routes, etc, forget that. Chaff fill at node-to-node
> link layer is easier... just as physical link crypto over fulltime fill
> works in background between switchports (there are proposals
> for ethernet to do this, embedded PHY instead of aftermarket
> anti-SPY gadget). Nodes already know what other nodes the
> upper layer wants to talk to, so they nego fill with them before
> swapping out lower fill for upper wheat on demand. Tor-like circuit
> extends in upper layer still works. User traffic in upper layers rides
> happy till users fill their own circuits they provisioned into the net,
> no different than tor or any other overlay today.

I'm parsing most of that, but not all.

"Negotiating" chaff for wheat is the issue - who to trust, or rather,
how to achieve a functional, --against GPAs/ government adversaries--
model/ improvement over Tor!

If we rely on layers below end-user control, we lose a major element
of security we're trying to achieve here.

We can begin with low bw links for wheat in the chaff text messages -
bittorrent floods at all times would kill backbones in a sense -
that's why unlimited plans ultimately shape.