Neowin: New OnionShare 2.2 update makes it easy to share files and host sites on the Tor network

jim bell jdb10987 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 17 17:25:22 PDT 2019

 Now, I'm sending to the list, also.
    On Thursday, October 17, 2019, 05:23:40 PM PDT, jim bell <jdb10987 at yahoo.com> wrote:

  Okay, I'm not advocating (or opposing) this concept.  It just seemed to me that since we are talking TOR-related features, we should pay attention to what TOR currently claims to provide.
I think a few months ago, I mentioned the idea (which I assume somebody else thought of first, probably years ago) of splitting a file into two (or more?) pieces, stored in two (or more?) separate systems), which when XOR'd together, provide the (forbidden, banned, 'reallybad!!!' 'highly-illegal') product file.   Neither file, alone, would be 'forbidden'.
The purpose of this is not 'secrecy' of course, but merely deniability.  Without the other file(s), the one file _I_ possess will be indistinguishable from a random number.   In fact, it could be a random number, which when XOR'd with a forbidden text, becomes what amounts to another random number, and somebody else's system will hold the other 'random number'  .   Think Vernam cipher, otherwise known as a "one-time pad".  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-time_pad

                      Jim Bell

 Filesharing is a privacy dead end. Only something like Mojo Nation / Mnet publishing, where few or no participants need be aware of or hold file contents, offer viable plausible deniability.
Neowin: New OnionShare 2.2 update makes it easy to share files and host sites on the Tor network.
https://www.neowin.net/news/new-onionshare-22-update-makes-it-easy-to-share-files-and-host-sites-on-the-tor-network/