Box for simple Tor node.

jim bell jdb10987 at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 14 00:21:03 PDT 2019

    On Sunday, October 13, 2019, 03:32:24 PM PDT, coderman <coderman at protonmail.com> wrote:

 comments below,

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
 On Sunday, October 13, 2019 10:15 PM, jim bell <jdb10987 at yahoo.com> wrote:

>>This   https://www.amazon.com/CanaKit-Raspberry-4GB-Basic-Starter/dp/B07VYC6S56/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=raspberry+pi+4&qid=1571002803&sr=8-5  appears to be a representative sample of a Raspberry Pi 4 board, in kit form, 4 gigabyte of RAM (I guess they must mean SDCard, right, and not ordinary SRAM or DRAM?  SD wears out, right?), with cables, a clear plastic box.  $85 in quantity one.

>While hypothetically node operators might receive some sort of subsidy (in full or in part) for their internet-service cost, it's also plausible that their Internet payment will be their "skin in the game", their contribution to the project.  Centurylink offers 1 gigabit/second service for $65 plus tax.  The speed itself is only one part of the issue.  I think there is no data limit for their 1 gigabit service; their slower services may have a 1 terabyte/month limit.

>i want to suggest NOT running a Tor node on a residential line.  be advised that your service limit is NOT your monthly bandwidth limit! (i have gigabit symmetric, but can only use 1TB/month before incurring serious overage charges...)  consumer internet is also prone to "TCP RST" traffic management (e.g. to fight torrent looking traffic) which interrupts circuits, and some ISPs even mangle DNS, which can get your relay marked as "BAD".

>see also: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/TorRelayGuide#Partone:decidingtorunarelay
"It is required that a Tor relay be allowed to use a minimum of 100 GByte of outbound traffic"

I accessed the Centurylink website, and I found this material on data limit exceptions:
https://www.centurylink.com/asset/aboutus/downloads/legal/internet-service-disclosure/excessive-use-policy-faq.pdf

"CenturyLink Excessive Use Policy Frequently Asked Questions What is the CenturyLink Excessive Use Policy (EUP) and how does it apply to me? CenturyLink residential High-Speed Internet (HSI) customers are subject to the CenturyLink EUP thatsets a 1.0 terabyte (TB) monthly limit on the amount of data a customer sends and receives over their HSIconnection, subject to certain exemptions. What customers are excluded from the CenturyLink EUP?CenturyLink’s EUP does not impact the following customers:  Business HSI Customers Prism TV Customers 1 Gigabit customers Customers with subsidized HSI service for low-income households What is included in my usage? All of the data received by your modem/gateway (downloaded) and sent from your modem/gateway(uploaded) will be counted toward your data limit. Why does CenturyLink have data usage limits and how much data usage is included in myCenturyLink HSI service?Data usage limits encourage reasonable use of your CenturyLink HSI service so that all customers canreceive the optimal Internet experience they have purchased with their service plan. CenturyLink includes1.0 TB of data usage each month with all residential HSI plans."

If I interpret the above correctly, 1-gigabit (actually, 940 MBPS) customers are not affected by the 1.0 terabyte/month limit. I highlighted by coloring in RED the reference to "1 Gigabit customers", above.
But, it's possible that Centurylink's policies vary state by state, or region by region.
             Jim Bell