Box for simple Tor node.

Zenaan Harkness zen at freedbms.net
Sat Oct 12 17:16:12 PDT 2019

On Sat, Oct 12, 2019 at 04:02:32PM -0400, grarpamp wrote:
> > Suppose a person wanted to implement a TOR node, simply by buying some
> > box, and plugging it into his modem, and power.  And NOT needing to become
> > an expert on TOR,
>
> There were relay boxes on offer in the past, not sure if still today.
> There are boxes on offer today providing local proxy into tor.
>
> People are probably better off learning the basics and simple setup
> needed for any network... Tor, I2P, IPFS, CJDNS, whatever... from a local
> tech meetup group or old fashioned time reading some docs and testing,
> than just blindly buying and plugging some magic box.

Absolutely.

I know people who, to "install, set up and configure Tor" is a gulf
of consciousness away from "even slightly probable in this life
time".

So a classic answer is "befriend a trustworthy geek" - try to
establish that your meat space geek shares at least one of your
principles.

> Given the scammy way some of these boxes are advertised,
> the lack some even "legit" ones have of any review, etc... reviews
> could be profitable and valued for enterprising cpunks to do...

First rule of computer security, wipe and install from scratch,
crossing fingers in hope your hardware is not own3d, which is a
chance, as Juan rightly points out, approaching "zero" unfortunately.