Green energy math - Mtoe (million tonnes oil equivalent) / yr, and compare "Go Green"

Zenaan Harkness zen at freedbms.net
Sat Oct 12 00:32:29 PDT 2019

tl;dr:

We start by converting the three main fossil fuels – coal, oil and
natural gas – into a common unit: the “millions of tons of oil
equivalent” or Mtoe.

In 2018 the world consumed 11,743 Mtoe in the form of coal, natural
gas and petroleum. The combustion of these fossil fuels resulted in
33.7 billion tonnes of carbon dioxide emissions. In order for those
emissions to reach net-zero, we will have to replace about 12,000
Mtoe of energy consumption expected for 2019.

That's 30,000 of the world's largest oil tankers (there are 4 of them
in the world) which hold about 3 million barrels of oil at a time.
Such a fleet would stretch over 7,000 miles parked stern to nose.

There are about 11,000 days between now and 1 Jan 2050, meaning
roughly, we must deploy over 1 Mtoe, per day, every day for about 30
years, of "green energy", just to reach carbon neutral by 2050.

And achieving net zero by 2050 means decomissioning over 1 Mtoe per
day, every day, for those same 30 years.

Nuclear energy?

We must deploy 3 brand new nuclear plants (of carbon-free energy)
every two days, for the next 30 years.

At the same time, a nuclear plant's worth of fossil fuel
infrastructure must be decomissioned every day, for 30 years
straight, to get to that hallowed "carbon neutral".

Wind energy? Try ~1,500 2.5 MW (megawatt) wind turbines, spread over
about 300 square miles, every day, for the next 30 years.

These stats come from last Tuesday, so now we're already 9 nuclear
power plants behind in our rollout!

Not gonna happen.

And just as well, since plants need all that CO2, and we humans are
up the food chain of plants, so we need plants to have lots of plant
food (CO2).

  Getting Real About Green Energy
  https://www.zerohedge.com/health/getting-real-about-green-energy
  https://www.peakprosperity.com/getting-real-about-green-energy/