Box for simple Tor node.

John Newman jnn at synfin.org
Fri Oct 11 22:07:18 PDT 2019

On October 12, 2019 2:11:59 AM UTC, John Newman <jnn at synfin.org> wrote:

>On October 11, 2019 9:53:10 PM UTC, jim bell <jdb10987 at yahoo.com>
>wrote:
>>On Friday, October 11, 2019, 02:26:27 PM PDT, John Newman
>><jnn at synfin.org> wrote:
>>

>> On Fri, Oct 11, 2019 at 09:05:00PM +0000, jim bell wrote:
>>> Somebody asked me a question, but because I am far from being an
>>expert, I couldn't answer.   Suppose a person wanted to implement a
>TOR
>>node, simply by buying some box, and plugging it into his modem, and
>>power.  And NOT needing to become an expert on TOR, or even on
>>computers in general.  And NOT having to follow pages and pages of
>>instructions.   I did a few minutes of searching, and even the
>'simple'
>>explanations seemed 'clear as mud'.
>>> Don't bother with long explanations challenging the usefulness, or
>>trustworthiness of TOR.   Yes, we've discussed them to death.  That's
>>different subject.                    Jim Bell
>>
>>>On FreeBSD, it's as simple as running the following commands as root
>>
>>># install tor
>> pkg install tor
>>
>>># set appropriate variables, there aren't too many to get going and
>># you can find them all well documented
>> vi /usr/local/etc/tor/torrc
>>
>>># update your rc.conf so the service will start at boot, then start
>it
>> sysrc tor_enable=YES
>> service tor start
>>
>>>For an idea of what the torrc file should look like, here is mine
>with
>>few bits XXX'd out. My node is specifically configured not to allow
>>exit
>>traffic because it was generating a lot of complaints upstream about
>my
>>host trying to hack peoples shit, etc :)
>>
>>># cat /usr/local/etc/tor/torrc | egrep -v "^$|^#"
>>SocksPort 9050
>>SocksPolicy accept 127.0.0.1
>>SocksPolicy reject *
>>Log notice file /var/log/tor/notices.log
>>RunAsDaemon 1
>>DataDirectory /var/db/tor
>>ControlPort 9051
>>HashedControlPassword XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
>>ORPort 9023
>>Exitpolicy reject *:*  # too many complaints :)
>>Nickname twentysevendollars
>>Address wintermute.synfin.org
>>OutboundBindAddress 198.154.106.54
>>RelayBandwidthRate 3265 KBytes  # playing with this
>>RelayBandwidthBurst 4355 KBytes # ditto
>>ContactInfo 0CA8B961 John Torman <tor @ synfin dot org>
>>DirPort 9030 # what port to advertise for directory connections
>>MyFamily XXXXXXXXXXXXX
>>

>>>If you were doing this on Linux, it would be much the same. Replace
>>the
>>"pkg install" with "apt-get install" or "yum install" or whatever, you
>>might have to add a tor repo or something. The config file probably
>>won't live under /usr/local/etc/tor, but just /etc/tor, and you'll use
> [...]

A more appropriate answer to your question would actually be
a pi or some SoC board with bare bones Linux or BSD OS and a version
of the little Tor wrapper app I described that had a really simple web
interfere and ran under e.g. nginx and php (or whatever).  Put in a nice
case with an onion stamped on top.

And if that's really the only feature you wanted, I guess that's
all it would do ;)

No one is selling such hardware mass produced.