UBI begins 2020 - brutal end Trump - “It's $1K to be Huwaite” - spicy YangGang 2020 election - [PEACE]

Zenaan Harkness zen at freedbms.net
Fri Oct 11 17:27:01 PDT 2019

Helicopter money, MMT, magic money for everyone, unlimited and no
downsides, right?

Not so fast.

  The Hidden Costs Of A Universal Basic Income
  https://www.zerohedge.com/personal-finance/hidden-costs-universal-basic-income
  https://mises.org/wire/hidden-costs-universal-basic-income

  The universal basic income (UBI) is gaining popularity as the
  alternative to the current welfare system. The idea is to give each
  citizen the same amount of money, no matter if he or she works or
  not. Therefore, unlike traditional welfare systems, the UBI has no
  means test, nor willingness-to-work test. Nobody would be then left
  without a livelihood even if there is no work for him. Doesn’t that
  sound great?

  The problem is that the program must be financed somehow. Let us
  assume for simplicity that there are 250 million adult Americans
  and that each of them would receive $1,000 monthly (as presidential
  candidate Andrew Yang proposes). So we get a total cost of $250
  billion monthly and $3 trillion annually. It would amount to about
  14 percent of US GDP, or 42 percent of total government spending,
  or 73 percent of the federal outlays. For comparison, this is more
  than the total expenditure on health care, defense, and education.
  And yet we are talking about “just” $12,000 annually (or 19 percent
  of the median household salary, or 36 percent of the median
  personal income). Good luck with such an expensive program!

  This is why the UBI is a utopian idea. Its introduction would
  require either a departure from universality (e.g., providing
  benefits only for young people), or a departure from
  unconditionality (e.g., the introduction of an income criterion),
  or reducing payment to small symbolic amounts. Other options
  include a radical increase in taxes, or implementing "modern
  monetary theory" and launching the printing press.

  The first two options would distort the idea of ​​the
  program, transforming it into another traditional welfare program.
  The third scenario would not fulfill the program goals, as it would
  neither eradicate poverty nor significantly increase social
  security. And the last two options would have negative overall
  economic consequences that could lead to the results contrary to
  the intentions of the program, (e.g., an increase in the
  unemployment rate as a result of additional tax burden on wages),
  or a reduction in the amount of real benefits as a result of
  increased inflation. It means that the implementation of the UBI at
  a substantial level without incurring significant economic costs is
  a myth.