Richard Stallman Gets SJW'd

Zenaan Harkness zen at freedbms.net
Fri Oct 11 03:33:22 PDT 2019

On Fri, Oct 11, 2019 at 08:54:54PM +1100, Zenaan Harkness wrote:

> https://lwn.net/Articles/802059/
>
> Richard Stallman and the GNU project
>
> Posted Oct 11, 2019 9:51 UTC (Fri) by zenaan (subscriber, #3778)
> [Link]

> >> "I feel he broke my $CURRENT_YEAR social norm, so yes, he should
> >> be crucified as a result; bring on the witch hunt mob thank you
> >> very much."
> >>
> >> Sorry, I cannot possibly agree with your implicit/explicit
> >> position. It's only when you're on the "mob" side of the fence
> >> that you can even put such a position with a straight face!
> >>
> >> Find some dignity and courage and communicate directly with
> >> those who have actually conducted themselves in ways you want to
> >> see them change (and for a hope of success, I suggest being
> >> specific and fact based in all such communications), rather than
> >> sanction a public mob based witch hunt to metaphorically crucify
> >> anyone --outside-- of due process!
> >>
> >> Perhaps folks just can't understand until/unless they themselves
> >> experience being the target of the mob... <shakes head>
>
> > People did communicate this to RMS; he chose to ignore it ...
>
> > ... At some point, when 20 years of telling him that he's out of
> > line ...
>
> > ... This is not out of the blue for RMS ...
>
> EVERY allegation YOU have made is hearsay - both legally, and
> morally.
>
> Put up your actual examples, or S, T, F, U.
>
> Without even ONE actual example (that RMS could reply to) you are
> avoiding due process, claiming "the higher ground" with nothing but
> the mob for your backing, and a snowflake who is virtue signalling
> your virtue to other beta males and/or millenial females.
>
> Seriously - why do you have the right to accuse anyone without
> putting up a fact, without providing something which the accused
> can even respond to coherently?
>
> That is the very definition of a witch hunt.
>
> Is this the world you wish to create? You want fact-less mob rule
> witch hunts and endless irrefutable allegations in the public
> conversation? Is that what you'd want for yourself?

Richard Stallman and the GNU project
>> > How can their words cause any harm to [RMS]?

>> Is this a serious question?

> Yes. You draw a distinction between words and "sticks and stones",
> presumably because there's a meaningful difference between them.
> If both can cause harm, what's the difference you're highlighting?

To be ethical in the process of airing an accusation, any accusation,
the accusation must provide an actual fact, and a clearly stated
position in relation to that fact.

This foundation provides an opportunity to the accused to respond (in
whatever forum the accuser chose).

Without both the fact in issue, and the position held by the accuser
in relation to that fact, the accused is provided no opportunity to
properly respond, possibly no opportunity to meaningfully respond at
all.

I have not yet seen any fact by anyone posting here at lwn.net or
elsewhere (yourself included), which substantiates the "hollering"
and "justification opinions" for RMS to resign (to have already
resigned) from the FSF.

All I have seen are opinions, innuendo, and hearsay.

The claim that opinions, innuendo and/or hearsay are sufficient
"evidence" or "cause" to "metaphorically crucify" an individual in
the public (or any other) sphere of human interaction, is a call not
founded in ethics but instead is founded in evil - is opposed to our
lives. Such a call is a call for mob rule, a "witch hunt" abdicating
due process and abdicating our responsibility to one another as human
beings.

Those who understand (let alone value) justice and righteousness,
understand these very basic principles.

Taking justice a step further, an accuser, per Matthew 18, is advised
to go speak with the accused ("your brother") in the first instance,
that he might hear you, and if he does not hear you, go with some
number of witnesses, that the accused's response may be witnessed by
a number of others.

Such processes as are (very) summarised above under the banner "due
process", provide for the opportunity (still yet no certainty) for
the accused and the accuser to come to an understanding and possible
resolution.

The mob witch hunt provides almost no such opportunity, just a forum
for heedens heeding the rumours of those who rumour mongor without
facts, to join in their force of numbers and crucify a probably good
man in the name of any flippant emotional weakness in some rando
snowflake accuser.