Richard Stallman Gets SJW'd

Greg Newby gbnewby at pglaf.org
Thu Oct 10 18:02:10 PDT 2019

On Fri, Oct 11, 2019 at 11:52:07AM +1100, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
> Those who presently rule, do so with unethical foundations.

Indeed.

> Can there be such a thing as an "ethical billionaire"?

Sure, if you allow making massive donations to charities, building out a national park system in Chile, and funding health research to qualify as "ethical."

Rowling: https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/j-k-rowling-drops-off-forbes-billionaires-list/

Chouinard: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/business/wp/2017/12/05/im-not-going-to-let-evil-win-patagonias-billionaire-owner-says-he-plans-to-sue-trump/

Feeney: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-29238545

Chittilappilly: https://www.forbes.com/sites/naazneenkarmali/2019/01/24/why-a-former-billionaire-is-giving-away-his-wealthand-made-the-ultimate-gift/#ef1b0381d5db

I didn't immediately find any American billionaires who gave it all away. Even the billionaires above seem to argue that money corrupts. Yet they manage to keep a moral compass, of some sort.

Actually, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation does quite a lot of good work, too. Wikipedia says they gave $28B, as of 2013: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_%26_Melinda_Gates_Foundation

 - Greg