Is Joe Biden guilty of obstruction of justice?

Peter Fairbrother peter at tsto.co.uk
Wed Oct 9 16:30:27 PDT 2019

On 09/10/2019 22:26, jim bell wrote:

> On Wednesday, October 9, 2019, 01:52:57 PM PDT, Peter Fairbrother
> <peter at tsto.co.uk> wrote:
>

> On 09/10/2019 21:02, jim bell wrote:
>  >> I try to avoid posting "political" issues, or at least initiating them,
>  >> but Joe Biden just called for Trump to be impeached because Trump
> called
>  >> on Ukraine and China to investigate him, Joe Biden. >
>  >> I wonder why this doesn't qualify as "attempted obstruction of
>  >> justice".
>
>  >Not even if Biden is guilty of something (for which we have
>  >approximately zero evidence) and was trying to hide it.
>
>  >Trump was not performing the lawful investigative act of a Government
> official - whether or not his motive was purely the administration of
> justice, his act is clearly and specifically illegal under US election
> law - therefore obstructing that unlawful act cannot be obstruction of
> justice.
>
> Could you cite which specific part of US election law" that Trump's
> action was "clearly and specifically illegal"?
Nope, no idea. I just read that in the UK papers. It was widely reported.

But if it wasn't illegal, how could Trump be potentially impeached for a
"high crime"? What crime?

How could Biden complain about Trump's doings unless they were illegal?
Well of course he could complain, but why would people take any notice?

Only makes sense to me if it really was illegal.

Suppose a cop was following you for months, was parked outside your
house every day, was all-the-time-asking your family and neighbours
about you. Could you go to a Judge and get a restraining order?

Whether he was doing it because your and his kids had a fight, because
you slept with his wife, or because he thinks (without sufficient
evidence to justify it) that you are a serial killer, the Judge should
grant it.

That would not be attempted or actual obstruction of justice, even if
you were a serial killer. Because the cop's actions were illegal.

Peter F