list of people censored on lists.debian.org

Zenaan Harkness zen at freedbms.net
Tue Oct 8 17:22:19 PDT 2019

On Tue, Oct 08, 2019 at 11:21:58PM +0200, Daniel Pocock wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've been looking through debian-private and I found messages from
> Alexander Wirt (formorer) about censoring various people from
> lists.debian.org.  Some of those messages appear to be defamatory.  You
> are in BCC because your name appears in debian-private.
>
> I've written a blog to help people work around censorship and other
> dishonest practices, please tell me if this is helpful for you:

> Does anybody know any other victims of censorship in Debian or any other
> free software community?
>
> Stay free,
>
> Daniel

Hi Daniel,

Thank you very much for the time and care you've taken to write up
your above blog.

It's always reassuring to see someone notice, let alone take action,
in relation to one or another of our freedoms - be that the freedom
to communicate, the freedom to move and travel anonymously within our
communities, or the freedom to engage in a vigorous and vicious
verbal stoush with a "sworn arch enemy" for a few days, and turn
around afterwards and still continue communicating with them - or not
- as we so freely choose.

When the screaming banshee snowflakes do all in their power to drown
out discussion of rights, principles and freedoms because "muh safe
space" and "how dare you f*ck with my safe comfy space, I'll have you
censored, hounded out of the community, and have you lose your job to
boot, because you said something I don't like", unfrotunately there
are some list admins who happily ban the one exercising the free
speech, and not the one wanting to "shut it all down, muh safe space!"

And so the bannings, kickings, or worse even the shadow bannings are
imposed and dissent is met with more bannings and finally a massive
swinging CoC dangled in front "the community" - a set of rules or
most often just a statement or 3 about how we having to be good to
one another, which CoC is thereafter used as the justification for
more bannings and censorship.

If there is to be any line in the sand, what ought that line be?

>From a mailing list administrator's point of view, expecting them to
oppose "the statute law" is too much - many would simply close up
shop altogether.

So in our present world, that is perhaps, perhaps, the only
reasonably acceptable line for "you've crossed the line on free
speech", and even then bannings or removal probably should not happen
unless a court order is served on the list administrator.

That's called presumption of innocence and assuming we do in fact
have the right to live our rights.

I appreciate your blog, and perhaps a few on the CypherPunks list may
also appreciate it - CyphePunks is one of the few mailing lists that
still strives to be staunch in standing for free speech - including
the right of those who want to say "shut it down". Not the easiest
journey apparently...

Re RMS, I emailed him and encouraged him to withdraw his respective
resignations (from FSF and MIT) - I don't know what the current
status is.

The email may be found here:
  reaching out -- was Re: Richard Stallman Gets SJW'd
  https://lists.cpunks.org/pipermail/cypherpunks/2019-September/076425.html

And there's a whole (17 email) thread earlier, starting here:
  https://lists.cpunks.org/pipermail/cypherpunks/2019-September/076395.html

Although a Google (Jewgle) search for "stallman site:lists.cpunks.org":
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=stallman+site%3Alists.cpunks.org&oq=&aqs=

Brings up as at 20191009 11:15, only the following FOUR results:
https://www.google.com/url?q=https://lists.cpunks.org/pipermail/cypherpunks/2018-November/073667.html&sa=U&ved=2ahUKEwil7u3X8o3lAhVDNY8KHShlBIYQFjAAegQIAhAB&usg=AOvVaw0UWKX3FCLuktqWXrNgk7jL
https://www.google.com/url?q=https://lists.cpunks.org/pipermail/cypherpunks/2015-January/051703.html&sa=U&ved=2ahUKEwil7u3X8o3lAhVDNY8KHShlBIYQFjABegQIABAB&usg=AOvVaw1Nn9nXiGFSaKCI0YUev9eF
https://www.google.com/url?q=https://lists.cpunks.org/pipermail/cypherpunks/2018-November/043886.html&sa=U&ved=2ahUKEwil7u3X8o3lAhVDNY8KHShlBIYQFjACegQIAxAB&usg=AOvVaw3Oq0pcmX57hteVnBLAW6xv
https://www.google.com/url?q=https://lists.cpunks.org/pipermail/cypherpunks/2018-November/043880.html&sa=U&ved=2ahUKEwil7u3X8o3lAhVDNY8KHShlBIYQFjADegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw2gLWxmerK0hZ8xF__85HsX

And do NOTE, I have disabled google's "safe search" and anything
similar I could find.

This campaign/war against our basic rights, goes incredibly deep,
right into the heart of "Silicon Valley" in bed with the NSA, CIA etc.

See also:
  on the necessity of a @snowflake codedoc annotation
  https://lists.cpunks.org/pipermail/cypherpunks/2018-November/043880.html