Tom's Hardware: As CPU Materials Get Thinner, Security Risks Grow - Report

jim bell jdb10987 at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 6 11:03:23 PDT 2019

 I don't know what they mean by "thin".  The article says:

"As CPUs are being made with thinner materials, this is creating attack vectors for side-channel attacks, according to a report from Semiconductor Engineering this week. The noise and electromagnetic radiation emitted by the thinner chips has become increasingly easier to observe by attackers, allowing for better penetration from methods used to steal chips' encryption keys and IP."
"The report cites U.S. Department of Defense agency DARPA, Synopsys (which makes tools for silicon chip design, verification and more), Ansys (which makes engineering simulation software), Siemens and more. It details how semiconductors are becoming more vulnerable to security threats with "each new process node," thanks to thinner dies and insulation layers."

This simply doesn't make sense to me.  The chips themselves aren't doing much radiating of an rf signal, the wires connecting them to the rest of the world are guilty of that.
             Jim Bell

 When it comes to semiconductors perhaps thin should not be "in".

Tom's Hardware: As CPU Materials Get Thinner, Security Risks Grow - Report.
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/cpu-thin-materials-security-risk-silicon,40554.html