Tor Stinks re Traffic Analysis and Sybil (as do other networks)

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Mon Nov 25 20:08:12 PST 2019

> Low latency means that only a few seconds of traffic need be considered. Web means that users have lots of traffic repeats in time-defined patterns. These make traffic analysis resistance hard.

Without constant fill upon which they ride hiding within
that... yes of course there's little resistance there.

Yes, "seconds of traffic" refers to the global buffer space
and time required for *PA find a solution within it.

That seems to become much harder when, instead of
watching discrete mouse clicks propagate around
pulsing bumps in TCP like a rat through a snake,
your vampire buffer is filled with normalized cell traffic.

> Adding dummy cover traffic does not help until you use impractical levels of cover traffic
> better to spend limited spare traffic resources on padding

Adding fill is different from yielding existing background
of fill on demand of wheat for carriage.

> does not help until you use impractical levels of cover traffic

This is steeped in "OMG won't someone think of the bandwidth",
they assume nodes don't manage their own ability to keep
their CPU and pipe to ISP above water, that an intelligent
and well configured net is not possible whether automatically
or manually, that nodes can't contract links among themselves
to ensure processing headroom, that it's just balls to the wall
until it congests itself into packet loss and the whole thing
melts down.

When trying to design new things, coming at it with
OMG oldtalk tends to limit those areas from being freshly
explored anew.

> padding to make files the same size

That assumes trying to build yet another network arbitrarily
restricting itself to file transfer application. Instead of first
trying to create a general purpose transport network that
will serve many applications.

> Dithering timing doesn't really help much against The Man's computing resources, at least until you get to something that is not low latency.

Dithering, reclocking, jitter... on every link regardless
of designed latency... may serve to help reduce or eliminate
ability to follow a packeting problem observed or injected
upon one link... from being repeatered node to node across
the net to the other side. It's finer grained complement
to the overall background fill that masks out bigger
problems and observables.

> It should be noted that NSA do not say they can break TOR in practice

Yes they do, it is the very subject of this thread, search
the net... pdf was think and process dating pre 2007... while
Tor's design didn't change since then, it's without question
that NSA's did to the tune of $Billions... people are utterly
fucktarded if they don't think NSA and the rest can point-click
that shit 12 years later in 2019...
"don't tell anyone it is broken, so people keep using it"...

https://edwardsnowden.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/tor-stinks-presentation.pdf

> In all the "Dark Web" busts I have read about there has been no evidence presented as part of a general break in TOR. Maybe they can't (or just don't) break it.

Parallel construction is well known available tactic to
preserve valuable tools and clean up faulty evidence
and illegal practice. So is sharing tips out to other
entities. It's TOP SECRET so don't expect to see
it on it's face. Though I definitely remember a leaked
slide deck where a form of PC tipping was indicated
as being used in drug cases. Someone else will have
to link to that one.

> any low-latency web onion router - could not defeat The Man

Crackheaded visions are hard to articulate, but
here are some nodes, more or less randomly
pathed through as needed by the communicating
endpoints...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGfr-KgWiiQ

amongst which bucket brigades are constantly
carrying things (though the brigade should probably
span each link entirely, such that no segment of
track is left entirely unoccupied between nodes)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qDXcQcj1fc

capacities vary and can integrate, switch in/out/on/off,
and route around problem track as needed and to enforce
negotiated contracts and expectations...

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=sdh+atm