Stage 2 - Hong Kong referendum - Re: I stand with the Hong Kong protesters

Zenaan Harkness zen at freedbms.net
Mon Nov 25 01:12:38 PST 2019

On Tue, Jul 02, 2019 at 05:00:11AM +0000, Ryan Carboni wrote:
> I stand with the Hong Kong protesters, they are openly defying the authority of an illegitimate puppet regime.
>
> Hopefully they will succeed at their task The idea a person could be free and go about their business is repugnant to any tyrant,

The results coming out

  Hong Kong Election: Pro-Democracy Candidates Surge Amid Record
  Turnout; Protest Organizer Wins Seat
  https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/hong-kong-election-pro-democracy-candidates-surge-amid-record-turnout-protest
  https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/politics/article/3039132/results-blog

are not quite as overwhelming as the Crimea referendum, but still
impressive, albeit only local council ("district" or city council)
elections:

   "Hong Kong’s pro-democracy camp has made huge gains in the early
    stages of the city’s fiercely contested district council
    elections on Sunday, taking all but 19 of the first 150 seats to
    declare."

This is a resounding democratic victory and a hint at what's to come
in future elections.

   "The elections, held amid an anti-government movement now into its
    sixth month , are expected to serve as a barometer for how
    Hongkongers feel about the unprecedented political crisis roiling
    their city.  It is also the first district council elections in
    which all seats are being contested, with the electorate voting
    in 452 district councillors.

    The results of the polls will have knock-on effects on the
    Legislative Council elections next year, which draw candidates
    from among successful district councillors.

    Coverage closes

    As it stands, the pro-democracy camp has gained control of at
    least 12 of the 18 district councils, winning 278 seats. The
    pro-Beijing camp has managed to secure just 42 seats so far.

    Independents, who are not endorsed by either camp, have won 24
    seats.
   "

  "This is looking like a thumping victory for the pro-democracy camp
   in #HongKong and complete wipe out for the pro-Beijing camp. Right
   now Democracy camp 115 v pro-establishment 9 !!! Catastrophic loss
   for Carrie Lam’s administration."
   — Stephen McDonell (@StephenMcDonell) November 24, 2019

  "Also scoring pro-democracy victories were Civil Human Rights Front
   organizer Jimmy Sham, who was attacked with hammers and
   hospitalized last month while eating lunch at a local restaurant.
   Also elected was Kelvin Lam who is supported by activist Joshua
   Wong."

  "The high turnout rate did benefit the pro-democracy camp," said
   Lam, adding "The result is like a referendum of the current
   administration, like a confidence vote."

With such an overwhelming victory for those who have, like the Yellow
Vests in France, been protesting now for 6 months straight, these
Hong Kong gals and lads are well placed for phase 2:

  Run a referendum to sure up those rights that they value,
  and to further collectively declare their will to the world.