Cypherpunks FOIAs [was Re: The Cypherpunk's 1995 Archive has been forged, and what are we going to do about it? (was:Re: Could someone add news of Cypherpunks Archive...]

coderman coderman at protonmail.com
Sun Nov 24 16:17:57 PST 2019

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
On Sunday, November 24, 2019 10:04 PM, jim bell <jdb10987 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Notice that the exception called "Glomar" refers to the non-release of information that would tend to show that a specific person or persons were under some sort of criminal investigation.
> From:
> https://www.justice.gov/oip/blog/foia-update-oip-guidance-privacy-glomarization

this is true for DoJ / FBI, but in NatSec domain there are additional considerations. (e.g. https://unredacted.com/2010/01/07/foia-tip-7-glomar-response/ , which is still a relevant ruling.)

i did however file an appeal:
"""

I am appealing this Glomar rejection. The NSA justified its Glomar Response with generalized and abstract explanations that are insufficient to carry the government’s burden of justifying its refusal to confirm or deny. To call a public mailing list "SIGINT related material" is farcical.

Please answer this appeal with continued processing of my request. Please confirm receipt of this appeal.

Best regards,
Martin Peck

""" - https://www.muckrock.com/foi/united-states-of-america-10/cypherpunks-67282/#

we'll see what happens... (likely just a different denial :)

best regards,