Tor Stinks re Traffic Analysis and Sybil (as do other networks)

Punk-Stasi 2.0 punks at tfwno.gf
Sat Nov 23 15:08:01 PST 2019

On Sat, 23 Nov 2019 21:48:45 +0000
Peter Fairbrother <peter at tsto.co.uk> wrote:

> The Tor rationale for requiring low latency was to make it more
> user-friendly and also thereby increase (innocent) traffic.
> Unfortunately that came at the cost of easier traffic analysis, as only
> the traffic passed within the last 4-5 seconds need be considered. They
> tried to balance that out - more traffic plus greater usability vs
> easier analysis - and came up with a system which had some
> perhaps-useful properties.

	I don't think they balanced anything. The connections go as fast as possible - there's no reclocking of packets, no mixing, no nothing.

> I don't know whether Paul would have worked on a public system which was
> impervious to NSA and USN - but the question never arose.

	well, they worked on mixing networks for email. There are tons of 'papers' on that. But I guess they never set up/promoted a 'high latency' public network. So arguably syverson at least 'worked' on the theory of a system that could resist attacks from his accomplices (nsa).

> Tor would be
> good enough to defeat third-world governments, which was both his and
> Tor's stated goal,

	stated where?

> and Tor could never defeat The Man.
>

> openly acknowledges it...in papers that no-one reads, while advertising
> tor as a means to
> >
> > 	"Defend yourself against network surveillance and traffic analysis."
>
> Is that a quote from Paul?

	that's the slogan that appeared on tor's site for 10 years maybe? They changed it some months ago though.

	2007
	http://web.archive.org/web/20071011223019/http://www.torproject.org:80/
	"Tor aims to defend against traffic analysis, "

	2008
	http://web.archive.org/web/20081231081100/http://www.torproject.org:80/
	"Tor is a software project that helps you defend against traffic analysis"

	2011
	http://web.archive.org/web/20110101111624/http://www.torproject.org:80/
	"Defend yourself against network surveillance and traffic analysis."

	2018
	http://web.archive.org/web/20181231204724/https://www.torproject.org/
	"Defend yourself against network surveillance and traffic analysis."

	etc