The Cypherpunk's 1995 Archive has been forged, and what are we going to do about it? (was:Re: Could someone add news of Cypherpunks Archive forgery to the Talk page of the Wikipedia Cypherpunks Article? +Journalists

jim bell jdb10987 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 18 10:42:01 PST 2019

 Well, I sent out an email to Declan McCullagh,  declan at well.com,  and so far no reply.   At least openly, there would not appear to be any reason he should resist the idea of returning and helping us figure out what happened with the faked 1995 archive.  He apparently continues to write news articles,   https://muckrack.com/declan-mccullagh/articles , and at least from their titles they sound well-meaning.  This would certainly amount to a big story, and he certainly can't claim the subject isn't interesting given the history of his articles.
However, his position stated to me in about March 2002 (about the time I was transferred to USP Atwater California; I had been at USP Lompoc for a few months before that) was initially that he was going to visit (because he was attending an event somewhere in the Bay area, as I recall), but after that he didn't bother to show up and it wasn't the reason he claimed:  'something came up':  In fact, he didn't even fill out and return a (necessary) Visitor's application, which would have been automatically approved.  So, evidently, Declan had decided weeks before that he had no intention of visiting me:  Without that form and routine approval, he would not have been allowed to visit.  He knew that.
So, I request that as many people as possible contact him and make this request directly.  He may feel uncomfortable, but he has a degree of responsibility, at least as a participant in the Cypherpunks list in 1995-96 and probably beyond, and as a witness, and as a person who no doubt reported the government's line during 1997-2002, but didn't bother to do anything to publicize my side of the story.  And in the end, I had done probably 12 more years in prison BECAUSE my story hadn't been told.
Declan should contact the people involved with the Cypherpunks archives, or keeping of the data.  I am confident that it wouldn't take long to figure out what happened.
             Jim Bell