Cryptocurrency: Anonymous to Invest $75M of Crypto to Develop Privacy Coins and Anon Tech

jim bell jdb10987 at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 16 09:29:50 PST 2019

 On Saturday, November 16, 2019, 01:50:43 AM PST, John Newman <jnn at synfin.org> wrote:

> On Nov 16, 2019, at 2:51 AM, jim bell <jdb10987 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> On Saturday, November 16, 2019, 12:22:31 AM PST, John Newman <jnn at synfin.org> wrote:
>
> > On Nov 16, 2019, at 1:37 AM, jim bell <jdb10987 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > I think you are mischaracterizing what I am proposing, as suggested by your use of the word, "seems".  Also, there is what is typically called an "opportunity cost", which is the 'cost' of NOT selecting the alternative.
> >

> What you proposed was quite clearly said. You proposed using AP to kill car thieves and people that look at porn.
>

> NO!  24 years ago, I DID propose the former.  But go back and read:  I DID NOT propose the latter.  It was raised as a possibility, by someone else, and I then COMMENTED on that concept.
>
>> If you cannot follow English-language discussion any better than this, who can trust your conclusions?
>

>> >You talked about the difficulty in finding people who had committed such crimes (cuz how else do you put an AP hit out on them?)
>

>> I can discuss the possibility that tomorrow, it will rain.  That doesn't mean I ADVOCATE that it rain, or that I WISH it to rain, let alone can I MAKE it rain!

> >>Maybe, or maybe AP gets co-opted by the same powers running shit right now.
>
>> Can you explain how that might happen?  You are speculating.
>

>All of this discussion is speculation Jim :).
Yes, certainly.  I think the problem is that people don't take the discussion seriously enough.  There was plenty of time to speculate in the 1990's, but I don't think anybody came to enough detailed conclusions.

>The way I see it being co-opted is pretty simple:  govcorp uses its nearly limitless financial resources to target anyone who is pushing for AP in a way that would take them out of power. You don’t think they will fight with everything they have?

Well, they certainly went after me, huh?  But remember, during the initiation of AP, few if anybody needs to "advocate" for AP, and even if they want to, they can do so anonymously.  At least, the tools should exist to allow anonymous discussion,

>They even have AP to use for their ends, because at this point AP has to be a system with perfect privacy (right? We hope so!), making government assassinations deniable.

That merely means that they can have a show at fighting back.  Not that this will be effective at saving the then-existing government.

>Legit AP participants, by which I mean people not sanctioned by govcorp who are donating funds and killing the rich/politicians/law-enforcement/etc, would be vilified by the media and the vast majority of society would see AP as horrible criminality.

That's what discussions of this issue are for.  Make what amounts to a virtual list of the crimes of governments, past and present, and explain why "the system" didn't stop them at the relevant times.  Explain that AP can punish the guilty without the vast majority of the people having to 'stand up' and take a visible position on the subject.

 >People don’t give a fuck about real freedom, not most of them.

>The ruling class has too many resources. And some of your most recent statements paint AP in a fucked up new light.

No, you are continuing to misrepresent what I have said.  Someone raised an issue, and I simply commented.  I didn't expose some sort of 'new' flaw or weakness or undesirability in an AP system that wouldn't have been obvious in 1995.  The big problem is SOMEBODY LOST THE FUCKING ARCHIVE!!   Or at least, allowed it to be faked.
> When the originator and biggest proponent of the idea has stated he thinks killing car thieves is a valuable usage of the tool

And I did that, 24 years ago.  To show the public how a crowd-funded, crowd-sourced retribution system can actually accomplish something that had nothing to do with politics.

>, essentially portraying it as a replacement for the current criminal justice system,

What!?!? You mean that the CONCEPT of AP replacing the current criminal justice system is NEW TO YOU!!!  You obviously haven't been paying attention!  If anything, I consider that outcome as unavoidable as AP itself, and indeed quite desirable.

 >I think you lose another big chunk of sympathetic support.

In other words, if nobody explains to people what will eventually happen, they will be confused and even scared.  THAT is the reason for the discussion!   And quite possibly, that's one powerful motivation for somebody STEALING THE FUCKING ARCHIVE!

>Murderous treatment of a mere thief is squalid, gross, and totally reminiscent of cops, jail, death row, torture, and the prison-industrial complex...
THAT is why a system will take the current system's place, one that actually employs a series of voluntary court systems, one that uses AP as an ultimate enforcement system, motivating people to agree to what will amount to arbitration.You really don't understand this?!?  You never heard of this?  Read the (now non-existent) archives!!!

> >>Maybe they never let it take off.
>

>> Prior to the development of Bitcoin, there were probably discussions on CP to the point, "Maybe they will never let digital cash take off."  Didn't seem to stop it, huh?  And now, there are many hundreds of altcoins in existence, and there is little news of somebody trying to "ban" them.
>
>> And today, there is actually a REAL death-prediction market in existence, Ethereum+Augur.  But not, yet, an "assassination market", but that simply because a large payment to one unknown predictor.  So, we are vastly closer to an AP-type market in 2019 than we were in 1995.  Your weak speculation wouldn't have appeared to be so weak in 1995 or 1996, but you are well over 20 years too late.
>

>In danger of repeating myself, I think it boils down to a few things. Not enough “regular people” give a goddamn about freedom, toppling the government, etc. They are happy to shake a US soldier's hand and thank him for his service, they call cops when they have a problem, they just want a veneer of freedom and plenty of toys to buy.  Further, you’ve poisoned the well with some noxious ideas about minor shit. It seems to me AP is for war criminals, billionaires, people destroying the planet for profit, etc… not for minor thievery or other shit that, under the current system, would just land you on paper or in some part of the American gulag for a brief time.
That's the pessimistic POV.  But I believe things can, and will, change.

> >>Maybe even if the tech is there, which it isn’t now, people are too fucking happy to get the latest gizmo from Apple and ignore the fact that they are slaves.
>
> >If they never have any sort of idea that they can be anything other than slaves, you will be right.  But I think we are long past that situation.
>

>Do you see a groundswell of support for anarchism in the wealthy American empire?  Take off the blinders man.  People are fucking stupid and mostly law-abiding “good citizens” who just want more money.

That's why most technological developments don't come in, in the form of a 'vote'.  Ever heard of a 'vote', perhaps in the late 1800's, where the public voted to allow automobiles to operate on the roads of the day?   I suspect it never happened, or at least if it did, it wouldn't have made any difference.  How about a 'vote' to let people use electricity?   Or the telephone?  Didn't happen.  Railroads?  Airplanes?  Didn't happen.  Refrigerators?  Dishwashers?
Was there a 'vote' to allow digital cash?  Computers?  Fax machines?  Pain relievers?  Antibiotics?  Microwave ovens? Anything like that?  Didn't happen.

I think the fact is, it simply doesn't matter what the public 'thinks' about AP.  It will begin to operate regardless of the wishes of maybe 99% of the population.  In 1995, when I wrote the AP essay, people in America didn't HATE their politicians.  Now they do, to a very large degree.  I have come to believe that when AP begins to operate, at least a large minority of the population will cheer.  And they will, because up until then they have become familiar with calling the first targets criminals and evil people.  And in many cases, they will be RIGHT.

>> >Most people are not anarchists.
>

>> Mostly because they have grown up their entire lives being unaware of the possibility that a society can be run without a centralized, heirarchical government.  And they were also nearly unaware that some non-governmental entity could issue "currency" that people could actually use to buy real things.  Things have changed, huh?
>

>Crypto-currency is an important precursor to the technical problems of AP, but AP isn't just a technical problem.  The fact that people are investing in bitcoin to try to make a big score has fuck all to do with the ideas behind AP, which involves financing murder for the greater good (oh, and to deter car theft :).
None of your arguments explain why you think AP won't work.  Just explains why YOU don't want to see it work.  Can't you see why that is irrelevant for most people?

>> > Can the critical mass of well-intending users of AP, a group of which I don’t think I can consider you to be a member after your most recent suggestions,
>
>> You were completely wrong about what you claimed to be my recent suggestion.
>

> > >be depended upon to win in a fight to target and pay for assassinations against the billionaire ruling class and their government and corporate lackeys?
>

> >The key in such a project is to eliminate, as much as possible, the need to 'trust' individuals.  I again refer to Ethereum+Augur, which it is said can continue to run even if thousands of CPUs are taken out of service.

>> >It is absolutely legitimate to find certain aspects of AP, or in this case how it would be implemented by you, and see obvious problems. How else do you problem solve or analyze the efficacy of.. anything?
>
>> I have been trying to get this analysis started since 1995.
>

>> > If, nearly 25 years after AP was first publicized, nobody has done the admittedly-involved work to determine this, that suggests that people are unthinkingly defaulting to the status quo, and for no obvious reason.  The old excuse, "the devil you know is better than the devil you don't know" is a poor excuse.
>

> >I think people probably either see the limitations I’ve expressed, or they are part of that population that is disgusted by the idea and do>esn’t really want to live in a world of escalating assassination wars.  I mean, it sounds like a cool video game :)
>

>> Actually, "assassinations" will not "escalate":  They will de-escalate.  As people surrender, there will be an increasingly smaller reason to resort to AP.  The more certain the targets' loss becomes, the less likely that they will resist.
>

>You don’t think govcorp will do everything they can to protect their people?

The key words are "everything they CAN".   Which won't be nearly enough.  I think in the mid-1990's there was discussion on CP to the extent "If [fill in the blank, a technological development the government doesn't want to see occur] happens, 'they' would just shut down the Internet!!!".     At that point, that tactic might actually have seemed plausible!
Back in the 1980's, if in an office the telephones went down, you could imagine people standing around, being unable to accomplish nearly anything.  And in the 1990's, if their local computer networks went down, the same effect:  People can't accomplish what they expect to be able to do.   By the 2000's and certainly in 2019, what would happen if the Internet went down?   Sheer disaster.  All over the world.
> Their resources are vast and would be deployed as soon as the first AP hit happens (or the first AP hit is bungled, always a possibility with this).
People won't necessarily know some event was "the first AP hit" for hours, days, or perhaps over a week.  There would be much speculation, obviously.

> >> Wouldn't it have been better if, 10-20 years ago, somebody had implement a 'model AP' system, a simulation of it.  In other words, just figure out what would likely happen.  No actual cash, no payments, no deaths, etc.  Wouldn't we have learned something?  If your opinion today had been informed by this kind of simulation, how do you know your opinion wouldn't have been different today?
>

> >Sure, a simulation would be cool, even today. Neither of us can know how the outcome of a simulation would affect our thoughts on AP - until we see one, it’s pure conjecture.
>
> AP, itself, won't require a simulation.  But a simulation may make some people feel better, become more confident that things will turn out okay.

Ok, you are the one who brought up simulations. I still think it would be fascinating.