List administrivia (Re: Whom, specifically, is our greatest ally? - (spoiler: Australia)) - [PEACE]

Greg Newby gbnewby at pglaf.org
Sun Nov 3 18:22:06 PST 2019

1. MISSING MESSAGES THIS WEEK

Jim: I set your list options to select "ACK" and unselected "nodupes." The impact is that you should get an email acknowledgment whenever a message is accepted and (presumably) distributed and archived. The "nodupes" might have no impact, but it is supposed to quash multiple copies of messages when selected.

Because you sent multiple emails to the list today, I don't have an easy way to check whether there was some sort of problem (like a spam-type rejection) from one of them. If you are ever suspicious that something got blocked or didn't make it, AND can tell me the specific time, I can check the logs. As I have mentioned here before, the PGLAF.org server that runs lists.cpunks.org has graylisting and a few other anti-spam measures. But clearly most of your messages are being handled correctly.

2. MISSING MESSAGES FROM 1995

As has already been written, the PGLAF server has only hosted the list since around August of 2016. Previously, Riad Wahby hosted the list. I first subscribed in the early 2000s. The archive copies I have at
  https://www.petascale.org/cypherpunks/ came from a couple of other people.

For anyone looking at those copies, note that the mbox files have some problems (spam, and some messages with bad headers that can confuse or even crash email clients).

It is clear in these archives that the messages that Jim says do not exist, do not exist. There is no obvious evidence of redaction. For example, I wondered whether there would be responses to messages that Jim posted, but not the original messages. I didn't find any. Ditto for the messages from Bill Frezza.

  ** IF YOU FIND OTHER (different) COPIES of the archive, please get them to me and I'll add them to what's above.

In the early 2000s, the list existed via a series of "cypherpunks distributed remailers" (CDRs). It is absolutely true that the content from each CDR was different: different headers, different time stamps, and different spam.

I do not know the provenance of the copies above. I can tell you that I didn't edit/redact them (a README tells what I did to eventually ingest alongside lists.cpunks.org archives).

I agree with Jim's suggestion that we seek other copies of archives, or individuals who might have a complete personal archive from them. Some of the long-departed CDR admins like Jim Chote and John Gilmore might have such records. If anyone knows who was running CDRs in the 1992-1997 period, I will be happy to reach out to them.

Best,
 Greg