Harper's Magazine Fact-Checking For the article you say you intend to shortly publish about "assassination markets".

jim bell jdb10987 at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 1 19:47:10 PDT 2019

 New New News.
Over the last couple of days, I have inadvertenly uncovered an extremely odd and mysterious fact.  The archives for the Cypherpunks list, from about April 1995 through October 1995, make NO (zero; nada) reference to "Jim Bell" or "assassination politics".
Since you won't automatically realize what this all means, I must give you some background events,
I believe I began writing my Assassination Politics essay in about February 1995, having thought of this idea in January 1995,  I initially posted Part 1 of that essay on the "Digitaliberty" mail list, run by Bill Frezza.  He had started that email list to use technology to promote libertarian, obviously a good goal,  but unfortunately he (?) found my AP idea 'too radical'.  But, someone who was also aware of the Cypherpunks email list (I don't recall who;  I wasn't aware of the existence of the CP list at that time) saw it on Digitaliberty, and cross-posted it onto Cypherpunks.  At that point, I was invited to join the CP list, which I did.  (remember, thats 24 years ago!!!)  There was, as I recall, a HUGE amount of discussion on the subject of AP, since it was clearly a major subject relevant to Cypherpunks.
The CP list has an archive, a database of what , ideally, should have been "all" postings that have appeared on CP.  Until a couple of days ago, I suppose that the people on CP thought that the archive contents were probably reasonably complete.  I had no reason to doubt that concept, although  I had never bothered to access the archive.  I had no immediate reason to do so.,
That changed.  Talking to you two, Will Stephenson and Brian Merchant, I raised the issue of my long-standing allegation that the Federal Government had its agent, Daniel J. Saban, purchase the home next door to me, 7302 Corregidor, and hired away its previous owner, John Hauer, to the Pacific Northwest National Laboraties in West Richland, Washington.  In about 2000 I had first found out that that the Clark County Assessor's office dated the sale on March 1, 1995, but I pointed out to you a few days ago,that this was only roughly accurate:  It might have been a date simply selected for tax or other purposes.
I initially did this investigation in about May 2000, because I strongly suspected that the Feds had decided to 'declare war' on me due to my posting of the AP essay around March or April of 1995.  At that time, of course, I was entirely unaware of the pre-April-2000 existence of the faked "appeal case" 99-30210.  This is a large part of the reason I wrote my lawsuit in 2002-2003, and had this information, having been locked up since November 2000.
If I had known of the illegal pre-April 2000 existence of appeal case 99-30210, I would have virtually been able to "blow the doors off" of my cell:  My subsequent "trial" would have been a farce, because I would have been easily able to show that the government guys had been FAKING that appeal case, and in doing do committing literally dozens of felonies.
I did this because since the article you are intending to publish is (you say) on the subject of "assassination markets", term used generally,  I think it is highly relevant if the Federal Government is using extraordinarily  ILLEGAL tactics to go after people for using their First Amendment rights of free speech to discuss such 'hot' subjects on what was just about the beginning of what I call the "internet era".   (Yes, I realize that the "Internet" existed at least as early as about 1975; I used it in 1978 at MIT myself.)    I'm talking about the time period where a large proportion of the public started to know about "The Internet" and many of them actually had access to it.
Unfortunately, I don't think the archives for the Digitaliberty list are still available, or perhaps even ever were, so the actual first date of the public appearance of the AP essay, Part 1, probably can't be known precisely.  But I do recall that rather quickly, just a few days later, I was told that AP Part 1 had been copied to the CP list, and I was invited there.  I showed up at the CP list very quickly, no more than a few days as I recall.   So, the first day of appearance of the AP essay on the CP list would rather closely pinpoint the first date of its publication on the Digitaliberty list.
You, as journalists, should consider this very important:  I am alleging that the Federal government decided to, virtually instantly, spy on me for no other reason that I had written a short document, an essay, in which I _didn't_ say I intended to do ANYTHING illegal, I merely discussed a theoretical idea.  (Hardly worse than  others did on similar subjects in the very early period of the Cypherpunks, perhaps 1990, 1991, or 1992., which I wasn't aware of at the time.)
One of the best ways you and Brian Merchant could display extreme bias is if, after being exposed to my numerous well-documented allegations (including described in a 195-page lawsuit, written 2003), you express absolutely no interest in these events and very serious allegations.  The reason that I told you about the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals case 99-30210, was to reveal how many Federal employees committed dozens of felonies against me by faking an appeal case, nearly two years after they had asked their stooge, Ryan Thomas Lund, assault me on November 25, 1997, in order to force me to accept a phony plea deal.
 See my lawsuit,  https://cryptome.org/jdb-v-usa-106.htm     and its October 2004 Amendment.  (The latter discusses very extensively the forged fake appeal, 99-30210, which was mostly missing from the July 2003 lawsuit:   I had only found out about the fake-nature of the 99-30210 appeal in about June 20, 2003.   http://cryptome.org/jdb/jdb-v-usa-oct2004.pdf  )   Prior to that date, June 20, 2003, I had been under the impression that this appeal case had been initiated by MY letter to the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
One of my allegations, in my lawsuit Amendmentin about Claim 505 through at least Claim 515, is that shortly after the Ninth Circuit's receipt of my letter to them demanding an appeal, in about March or April 2000, government agents of that court engaged in an extensive effort to RE-forge the contents of that appeal case, 99-30210, which had been phonied-up since at least June 1999.   My unexpected letter to them had put them into an extraordinary embarrassing situation:  While I was actually 10 months (!!!) LATE to ask for an appeal, it turns out that despite my ignorance of case 99-30210, my "appeal" actually had ALREADY been initiated in June 1999 and had continued, to date, April 2000,.
The personnel of that court, the Ninth Circuit, knew that I DIDN'T know about the appeal, 99-30210, because they had been keeping its existence secret from me since its inception on June 1999.  Since I had unexpectedly demanded "an appeal", they couldn't "deny" me the appeal that they had (seemingly) ALREADY 'granted' me, at least the process!    This may very well have constituted the weirdest example of court corruption that had ever occurred in the modern era!!  At that time, the Ninth Circuit had the terrible problem that _I_ was under the impression that I could demand an appeal, 10 months 'too late', yet they had to 'play along' and find a corrupt attorney who would agree to conceal from me the pre-April 2000 existence of case 99-30210.  Which he, Solovy, did.
  While I didn't know much law in April 2000, (I heavily started learning Federal law in Decemer 2000) if any of a dozen or so of the usual mailings that would ordinarily be mailed to me during the pendency of that appeal case had actually been delivered to me (they weren't) I would have become instantly aware of enough information to complely expose the ongoing fraud.  Each of these letters' existence were recorded on a continuing document called a "docket" associated with that specific case, a document that I actually first saw about June 20, 2003.
Did the Ninth Circuit Court not make the mailings?  That would have been "mail fraud", many felonies.    Or were the mailings made, and they were waylaid at the mail office at the prison (FCI Phoenix) where I happened to be from about September 7, 1999 through April 2000.  That's also mail fraud.  Tampering with the docket of the Ninth Circuit is probably one of the most serious felonies they would commit.
 I had trained myself to be a 'jailhouse lawyer' during the period of December 2000 through June 2003, and had started my lawsuit in mid-2002.  At one point, I began to consider it odd that my appeal case had started with the numbers "99", as in "99-30210.  This was odd, because in 2000 I was under the impression that I had started that appeal with my April (?) letter to the Ninth Circuit Court.  But I eventually realized that if that that appeal had begun April 2000, the first two digits of that appeal case would have been assigned to be "00", rather than "99".  Something, I realized, was quite wrong.  I knew I had to see a copy of that docket.
So, I wrote a letter to the Ninth Circuit in early June 2003, asking for a copy of that docket.  Once I eventually received that docket, in June 20, 2003 it was obvious what was wrong:  Anyone (at least, any lawyer) looking at that docket would have been under the impression that I had been actively aware of, and indeed representing myself ("pro se", as lawyers say).  Yet, in June 2003 I knew I had not been doing so, and I further knew that none of the 'docket items' listed on that docket had ever been delivered to me during the peiod of 1999 through April 2000.  So it was at this point I understood most of the court-initiated (?) fraud that had been going on since at least 1999, and really since mid 1997, and later the assult by Ryan Thomas Lund.
What I believe happened, subsequent to my letter written to the Ninth Circuit Court in March/April 2000, is that these court people had been maintaining a forged docket, but realize that they were going to have to actually give me the appeal that they couldn't avoid.  I believe that they greatly modified the then-existing docket for 99-30210 after receiving my letter, so by the time a lawyer named Jonathan Solovy had been assigned to my case, the docket probably looked entirely different than it had pre-March-2000.
---
 However, up until 2 days ago, I was essentially  certain that the Cypherpunks email list archives for that period were available, at least in principle.  At least, people on CP referred to it, the archive.  I believe that the process of converting of the recorded materials to a publicly-accessible archive began just a few years ago, although there may have been partial efforts previous to that.
Well, two days ago I accessed that site, and looking at the 1995 archive, I was quite astonished to discover that contrary to what I thought should have been present,  appearances of my name ("jim bell") and ("assassination politics") occurred only as early as November 1995, and certainly not as early as March or April 1995.  Yet, the first posting recorded in the 1995 archive was dated  January 1, 1995, and they continued solidly, although there were two mysterious omissions duirng the March-July 1995 time frame.  So, there were huge numbers of postings, yet none mentioning me, and none mentioning "assassination politics" until about 6 months later.   (frequently, even usually shorted to "AP" during this period.)
Tampering with computer records is, no doubt, a serious felony.  But given the large number of felonies that Federal government employees had already committed associated with my case, engaging in fakery with the Cypherpunks archive must have seemed minor.  At this early date, I am still fairly confident that there will be records to show that the government almost instantly began to spy on me in March or April 1995.

What is very interpreting now is this new discovery, which strongly suggests that there has been forgery of the Cypherpunks list archive, potentially implicating additional conspirators.
    I am sure you are glad to receive this fascinating information, which I'm sure will be so useful to your efforts.

               Jim Bell