In European Election Pirate Parties against Massive Surveillance

Fabio Pietrosanti (naif) - lists lists at infosecurity.ch
Sun May 12 07:09:36 PDT 2019

Hi all,

i'm supporting Pirate Party (in Italy) for EU Election, that share a
common European pirate party program (the same program in 9 EU states),
with a clear and explicit commitment against massive surveillance and in
favor of privacy.

I would love to see NGOs that are pro-privacy and against surveillance
to support that point of the program of EU Pirate Parties publicly,
calling for all digital rights activism communities across Europe to
support that trough their own communities.

The full program is available at:
https://wiki.ppeu.net/doku.php?id=programme:ceep2019#free_software

See the National Pirate Parties part of European Pirate Party
https://european-pirateparty.eu/members/ .

It would be valuable for the participants of the list that are in EU
countries and that share those ethical values and principles to get in
touch with their national Pirate Party to advocate those point of EU
political programs.

Fabio Pietrosanti (naif)

Below snippets of the program against surveillance:

        Privacy and Mass Surveillance

Europeans have a proud history of fighting for their fundamental rights
and the freedoms of their fellow citizens.

To preserve our rights and freedoms, and to ensure the effectiveness of
law enforcement, Pirates demand that data collection and monitoring is
limited to people who are suspected of committing or preparing a crime
and requires judicial approval and oversight.

Adequate protection against crime is an important responsibility of the
state. We must ensure this responsibility is fulfilled through an
intelligent, rational and evidence-based security policy.

Pirates wish to abolish the practice of routine, automated and
untargeted data collection, storage and matching. We reject the blanket
and indiscriminate collection of communications data (data retention),
traveling data (PNR) and biometric data. Pirates oppose the automated
profiling of people to divide them into risk categories (“profiling”) at
borders (entry/exit system).

Public spaces are full of cameras that monitor the movement of people
and vehicles, track faces, and combine this information without
considering the potential for the erosion of privacy. Evidence
demonstrates that the presence of such systems has little effect on the
rate of crime and that, at best, crime simply shifts to other spaces.
Pirates support and would prioritize the movement of police personnel
from monitoring duties, to patrolling the streets. Pirates are against
individuals being required to identify themselves if they are not
suspected of committing a crime, especially when they are exercising
their rights to protest or assemble.

Pirates oppose the exchange of personal data with countries that lack
effective protection of fundamental rights except in emergencies.

        Stopping New Surveillance Plans

Pirates want to stop the erosion of civil rights, that has taken on
dramatic proportions in recent history. To ensure our safety, we do not
need new surveillance laws, existing laws are sufficient.

In particular, we reject:

  *
    The proposal to make fingerprinting of all identity card holders in
    the EU obligatory.
  *
    Attempts to allow providers to retain communications data
    indiscriminately for “security” purposes in the context of the
    proposed ePrivacy regulation.
  *
    The proposed creation of a centralized EU Identity Register
    including fingerprints and facial images (“interoperability”).
  *
    Unilateral cross-border law enforcement access to data bypassing
    mutual assistance channels (“e-evidence regulation”).
  *
    Screening travelers using lie detectors („iBorderCtrl“ project).

        Systematic Evaluation of Existing Surveillance Powers and Moratorium

Pirates support well-reflected measures to keep us safe but intend to
abolish harmful interferences in our fundamental rights. We, therefore,
want the European Fundamental Rights Agency to systematically examine
all current and future surveillance powers and programmes as to their
effectiveness, cost, adverse side effects, alternatives and
compatibility with our fundamental rights.

Pirates advocate a moratorium on any further interference with our human
rights by the security agencies of the EU in the name of internal
security until the systematic review of existing powers by the FRA is
complete.

        Security Research

Pirates support the funding of research through the EU, however, the
frequent involvement of government agencies in surveillance and
filtering operations like INDECT and CleanIT demonstrates a clear
intention to use such technologies in a way which makes them publicly
funded tools for dismantling civil rights. We, therefore, argue that the
EU must not fund technologies that limit fundamental rights.

        Protecting Our Privacy Online

The proposed e-Privacy regulation will update privacy rules for
e-communications. We reject attempts to allow providers to retain
communications data indiscriminately for “security” purposes. The
collection or use of personal data for data trade, advertising or market
or opinion research must be allowed only with the active and informed
consent of the person concerned.

Additional Internet privacy legislation is needed to ensure that
information society services can be used and paid for anonymously, and
do not indiscriminately record our online activities. We intend to
replace the surveillance economy with an anonymous micropayment economy.

The right to use encryption shall be guaranteed. Support for end-to-end
encryption shall be made compulsory for manufacturers of
telecommunications equipment. Transport encryption shall be made
compulsory for telecommunications operators, especially operators of
international cables. National and inter-EU communications shall no
longer be routed via third countries to prevent foreign intelligence
agencies from intercepting them.

        Export Controls of Surveillance and Censorship Technology

We support export controls of surveillance and censorship technology. We
will not support the proliferation, by means of export credit or other
state guarantees, of European-made surveillance and censorship
technology to authoritarian countries that do not respect the rule of
law. We will fight to uphold the privacy of journalists, activists and
citizens around the world, by supporting legislation that prevents
oppressive regimes from acquiring such technology and services from any
entity in the European Union.