From the Assange indictment: Is there Extraterritoriality present in the Statutes the Indictment references?

jim bell jdb10987 at yahoo.com
Mon May 6 20:57:43 PDT 2019

 https://learnoutlive.com/why-prosecuting-wikileaks-is-a-bad-joke/

[partial quote follows]

Neither Funny Nor Wise

Let me briefly dwell upon why the idea of U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder prosecuting Julian Assange of Wikileaks is a seriously flawed piece of fiction.

First, a couple of short facts out of the way.

   - Julian Assange is a citizen of Australia.
   - Wikileaks operates from Iceland.
   - No one has accused Wikileaks itself of stealing the information.
   - No one has explained how this is a crime prosecutable on foreign soil.
   - No one has explained adequately how this falls under U.S. jurisdiction.

The Espionage Act for Dummies

The idea behind a prosecution is that the Espionage Act supposedly allows the U.S. government to prosecute people who, to use one example from The Washington Post,

“That language is not only the right thing to do policy-wise but puts the government in a position to prosecute him,” Smith said. Under the Espionage Act, anyone who has “unauthorized possession to information relating to the national defense” and has reason to believe it could harm the United States may be prosecuted if he publishes it or “willfully” retains it when the government has demanded its return, Smith said.

This all makes decent legal sense if applied to someone under the natural jurisdiction of the United States, like a citizen or a resident, or a foreign national on U.S. soil spilling secrets. However, none are the case here.

Thus, first, we have to get into the idea of extraterritorial criminal law, the idea that if evil is spawned beyond the U.S.’ borders, but that the effects occur within the U.S., that the crime is prosecutable and punishable within the U.S., provided, of course, the U.S. physically gets its hands on the person it deems responsible. (Example: Former Panama President Manuel Noriega.)

Second, there’s a little problem with this, namely, proving your case in court. The government’s extraterritorial powers (which were originally intended mainly to punish things like piracy, viewed uncontroversially as a crime against humanity for many centuries until the modern Somali pirate crisis broke that consensus) are still limited by the Constitution, namely, the right to due process. So, the government has to prove that harm was done to U.S. national security, and that would surely require the spilling of more secrets to prove that existing secrets harmed the nation.

Third, while the law itself has been upheld under the U.S. constitution, that does not mean that the First Amendment, guaranteeing freedom of speech, went away. This creates major complications.

It’s easy to prosecute according to the Espionage Act where a) the information is conveyed to a foreign power, not the public, and b) the information is a nature that is clearly related to military secrets and does obvious, self-evident harm to national security. (Take Jonathan Pollard’s efforts to get U.S. Navy communication decryption info to Israel, for which Israeli politicians are still trying to get him pardoned, without success.)
Conveying this information to China would make it clearly espionage. Conveying this information to the American Public muddles the issue considerably.
[end of partial quote]
                Jim Bell