Demonstration of a tinc network linked through Tor v3 onions

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Wed May 1 19:09:01 PDT 2019

On 4/29/19, Ann Brown <annobrown at protonmail.com> wrote:
> I was wondering whether OnionCat opens a new circuit for each packet stream,
> and whether tinc (like OpenVPN) instead uses circuits on longer timescales.
> I suppose that I could log that, and see.

OnionCat doesn't talk to tor controller to "open" and manage
its own circuits, it's subject to SocksPort circuitry in tor(1).
onion to onion uses same circuit, while circuit remains valid.
usefeature extended_events verbose_names
setevents stream circ

> But it's still voluntary, right? So one can random walk until non-blocking

Yes. Some relay operators may be staying on those
older versions for that reason.